Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip to Jerez/Cadiz (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-to-jerez-cadiz-1712339/)

photog_sharon Jan 16th, 2023 06:12 PM

Day trip to Jerez/Cadiz

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Spain. We will arrive the day after Easter. (Our schedule did not allow us to be there during Holy Week.) We will spend 3 nights in Cordoba, 6 nights in Sevilla, 3 nights in Granada, and 5 nights in Madrid. We have booked most of the tickets for the sites on our "must do" list. It looks like we will have a day while we are in Sevilla for a day trip. We are very interested in going to Cadiz and maybe stop in Jerez for a Sherry tasting? We enjoy history, architecture and photography. I am looking for info on how to best visit Cadiz and possibly Jerez from Sevilla? We will not have a car so it looks like a train will work for getting there? We do have money in our trip budget to hire a private guide/driver for a day. I have looked at tours-by-locals and Viator but the prices vary greatly and no one guides stands out to me after reading many reviews. Any recommendations?

Maribel Jan 16th, 2023 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by photog_sharon (Post 17429843)
My husband and I are planning our first trip to Spain. We will arrive the day after Easter. (Our schedule did not allow us to be there during Holy Week.) We will spend 3 nights in Cordoba, 6 nights in Sevilla, 3 nights in Granada, and 5 nights in Madrid. We have booked most of the tickets for the sites on our "must do" list. It looks like we will have a day while we are in Sevilla for a day trip. We are very interested in going to Cadiz and maybe stop in Jerez for a Sherry tasting? We enjoy history, architecture and photography. I am looking for info on how to best visit Cadiz and possibly Jerez from Sevilla? We will not have a car so it looks like a train will work for getting there? We do have money in our trip budget to hire a private guide/driver for a day. I have looked at tours-by-locals and Viator but the prices vary greatly and no one guides stands out to me after reading many reviews. Any recommendations?

Use the Media Distancia train from Sevilla-Santa Justa rail to Jerez. To go on to Cádiz after your sherry tour use the Cercanías commuter train. But combining the 2 from Sevilla would make for a long day. I would just choose one or the other as a day trip.

I’ve used Roger Davies for the sherry tour to Jerez.
A question of Taste is his company.

photog_sharon Jan 16th, 2023 06:39 PM

Maribel, I appreciate your quick reply and info. I will look at Rogers info now. I agree that it is too many things for one day and that we need to pick one or the other.

Maribel Jan 16th, 2023 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by photog_sharon (Post 17429846)
Maribel, I appreciate your quick reply and info. I will look at Rogers info now. I agree that it is too many things for one day and that we need to pick one or the other.

For the Sevilla-Jerez trains see the schedule at www.renfe.com. I have a trip coming up there shortly for the Flamenco Festival and sherry sampling.

mike1728 Jan 20th, 2023 06:17 AM

If history, architecture and photography are amongst your interests then Cadiz should be your choice. Tons of history, great architecture and numerous beautiful photo opportunities. It’s a great walkable city, with all kinds of interests amongst its narrow lanes and beaches. For a great sherry tasting experience, take the ferry across the river to El Puerto de Santa Maria (30 min ferry, which runs frequently and is a fun ride) . El Puerto is part of the Sherry Triangle. There are at least two Bodegas with tours and tastings within a 5 min walk from the ferry dock. El Puerto itself is a beautiful town, with lots to see and do.

Maribel Jan 20th, 2023 07:18 AM

If you do decide to go to Cádiz instead (but remembering that this makes for a much longer day trip from Sevilla), I can second mike1728's suggestion of taking the catamaran (weather dependent) over to El Puerto de Santa Maria to the Bodegas Osborne for a very nice sherry tour and tasting and lunch at their Toro Tapas. We've been to Osborne several times and their restaurant is quite nice and a very good value.

photog_sharon Jan 22nd, 2023 03:24 PM

We have decided that we will plan a day trip to Cadiz and skip a stopover in Jerez. Thank you mike 1728 and Maribel for your suggestions. May I ask for suggestions for the best train route from Sevilla to Cadiz?

HappyTrvlr Jan 22nd, 2023 04:48 PM

Just want to tell you that you will enjoy Cadiz,the oldest city in Europe.
We also visited Jerez another day and it was interesting but Cadiz is a more beautiful city with a long history, dating back to the Phoenicians.

Sassafrass Jan 22nd, 2023 05:15 PM

https://shannonselin.com/2017/10/sce...-of-trafalgar/
I am a huge Lord Nelson history buff. Cadiz played such a part in the Battle of Trafalgar, you might want to read some books about it (and Lord Nelson) before your trip.
One thing I have enjoyed during travels is seeing places connected to figures of importance in literature or history that I have read about. Cadiz was a bucket list place for me because of that and it is a beautiful city.

The roads leading into El Puerto de Santa Maria are lined with run down garages, etc., but the center is quite charming, good sea food too. Lovely long beaches too.

photog_sharon Jan 22nd, 2023 05:17 PM

Thank you Happy Trvlr. I have been reading all evening about Cadiz and I wish we had more time. We will take the train, I am looking for info on a good tour guide in Cadiz since we only have time to see it as a day trip from Sevilla.

Maribel Jan 22nd, 2023 08:27 PM

Since you plan on spending the day in Cádiz rather than Jerez, it's an easy walk from the train station to the pedestrianized center, and the information booth there can plot out a walking tour for you and give you info on the top sights to see and opening hours, so you don't necessarily need a guide. The inner city is compact and narrow and can be easily managed in a day.

You can take a walk around its malecón, walk the Playa Caleta and if you have time, visit its very impressive Museo de Cádiz, which is an archaeological, fine arts and ethnographic museum combined. The Phoenician sarcophagi on the ground floor are extraordinary, as are the other remains from its Phoenician founding.
https://www.museosdeandalucia.es/web/museodecadiz

Cádiz has served as a stand in for Old Havana in many movies and has a very laid-back and friendly feel.. It's also endowed with some great tapas bars, like the time warp Casa Manteca, or Cádiz style chicarrones and the wonderful El Faro for its unmissable tortillitas de camarones, both found in La Viña quarter. I'm headed to the city from Sevilla for a 4-night stay soon and always enjoy my time there.

photog_sharon Jan 23rd, 2023 08:46 AM

Thank you, thank you Maribel for your detailed info once again. You have convinced me that we do not need a guide. I look forward to exploring the area and its many photo ops.

photog_sharon Jan 23rd, 2023 08:51 AM

Thank you Sassafrass for your post and the link. My husband is the history buff and has read much about Lord Nelson and the history of Cadiz. I am more of a photography buff. We both look forward to our day trip to Cadiz.