Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Giverny - What Else to Do in the Area

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Charlie Girl

I read a recent post where someone said that Vernon is worth some time. I plan to see Monet's gardens in the morning and possibly Vernon in the afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions or is my time better spent in Paris? Thanks.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:25 AM
elaine

Just steps away from Monet's place is a museum of American Impressionism
which I think is enjoyable.
I've got nothing against Vernon, but my recommendation for seeing it would depend on how many days you've got in Paris. If your time is limited and you've got things you want to do and see in Paris, then head back. It's not that Vernon isn't quite nice I'm sure, it's just a matter of what your priorities are and how much time you have.
Others have recently suggested going on to Rouen if you want to see a very historic city (it's on the same train line from Vernon apparently, which I only recently learned) or else
have a car service take you to both Giverny and Versailles, as elvira has recommended--it's cost-effective if you're a group of around 4, I believe.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Christina

I think Monet's house/gardens are a very nice visit, but it really depends on you and your interests. Mainly, it depends on whether you've seen Paris before, how much time you have extra, etc--I would not skimp on anything major you wanted to see/do in Paris to spend an afternoon in Vernon, that's for sure. There are certainly good art museums in Paris that are worth more of your time than that one; I think people often mention that museum as something to do in Vernon (the only thing, I think) if you're stuck there a few hours until the train comes, not as a major planned destination. Oh, a lot of this depends on time of year, also; I wouldn't go to Giverny when the gardens aren't really nice.

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Rex

Highlights attractions near Giverny: Chateau Bourcy, Roche-Guyon, Les Andelys (Chateau Gaillard), Gisors - - and Vernon itself is pleasant enough if you simply want to shop for this'n'that in a typical (non-tourist) small town (but it is not a "village").

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:37 PM
fran

Has anyone been to Giverny in mid-October? Are the gardens worth seeing at that time?