Day Trip to Cordoba from Seville

Jan 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Day Trip to Cordoba from Seville

Next month my wife and I are staying for 4 nights in Seville. We would like to spend one day or half a day visiting Cordoba.

Can anybody recommend an organised tour which starts and ends in Seville and includes the Mezquita and possibly other highlights of Cordoba?
Jan 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM

no, but just hope on the train, i'd take a taxi into centre but it is often grid locked so you can walk in and taxi out.
Jan 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
yk

It's very easy to DIY; just get on the train (AVE). Get the audioguide for the Mezquita, it's very informative. The old town is very small and it's easy to get around on foot.
Jan 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I was in Seville in September of 09. I hoped the Ave and was there in no time. I would also recommend to get the audioguide. The old section is very pretty. You can do this in 1/2 day.
Jan 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Our family was in Cordoba a couple of weeks ago and, as everyone else has said the AVE from Seville to Cordoba is a great option. From the train station in Cordoba bus #3 does a loop that stops a five minute walk from the Mezquita. Can't quite remember the cost of the bus but it was in the vicinity of 1.40 euros per person.
Jan 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM

I totally agree you do not need a tour....hop in the train, then you take bus 3 as suggested or a taxi, in Cordoba you cannot go wrong focusing in the mezquita, then if you like have a good meal at nearby Caballo ROjo Restaurant, then you can walk around the old jewish part of the city , make it simple and do not add too much more.
Feb 11th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Seems like a DIY approach is the way to go. I think we'll go for the 0920 Avant train out of Seville, returning on the 1540 Avant.

Has anybody got any views on whether it makes any difference to do this on a Friday or a Saturday? Presumably Saturday is a busier day, but in late February does it make much of a difference?
Feb 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I also did a day trip from Seville to Cordoba on my own - the walk from the station area to the town center is about a half-mile - start with the old mosque now a Cathedral

I stopped at the Cordoba tourist office on the way in - got a town map that pinpointed all the sights, including an unGodly passel of neat old churches

the historic town centre is very manageable on foot
Feb 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Agree on the do-it-yourself. As for Friday vs. Saturday, I don't think the Mezquita would be croweded either day because of the time of year. The trains may be LESS crowded on the Saturday.
Feb 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Palenque: thanks for your comment, and also for forcing me to look up the word "passel".
http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/passel
Is it used much where you come from?
Feb 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Follow-up question:- has anybody visited Palacio de Viana in Córdoba? Worth seeing if schedule for day trip allows?
Feb 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Bar DeLorean, at Calle Alfonso XIII close to the Ayuntamiento --City Hall--, serves a good tapa for free with every drink.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the train trip from Seville worked well. Thanks to Fodorites for the steer on this.

If you get a fine day, I recommend that you visit the Alcazar, not so much for the museum housed there (although the Roman mosaics are impressive) but for the gardens.
May 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM

We are planning on the day trip from Seville to Cordoba on a Saturday in a few weeks. How long did you spend at the Mezquita and were you able to see the Alcazar, synagogue and have time for a nice lunch by getting there at 1000 and leaving at 1600? Thanks.