Day Trip To Castles From London

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip To Castles From London

Does anyone know of a worthwhile day trip to tour castles outside London- no more than a 1-2 hour drive?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:54 AM

The closest to London is Windsor Castle. Leeds & Warwick castles are also doable in a day. Blenheim Palace & Hampton Court are also popular daytrips.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:23 AM

During an independent trip to London, we took an Evan Evans day trip to Leeds Castle which included Canterbury and White CLiffs of Dover. It was very worthwhile--Leeds Castle is georgeous and Canterbury Cathedral awesome. Great way to see some of the countryside without a car. Have fun.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM

I live a couple of miles from Leeds Castle. Its just off junction 8 of the M20 motorway. Approx. 1.5 hours from London. If you decide to come here, I can let you know about the immediate area [email protected]
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I went to both Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace while visiting London in June. Both were only a 30 minute train ride out of London. We bought our train tickets to Windsor at Paddington Station the day we wanted to go. We got our tickets to Hampton Court at the Waterloo station. It was easy and fairly inexpensive to get both and these are beautiful palaces to tour!

I also visited Kensington Palace while in London--another great palace to visit.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM

I took the same full day tour in '98 as gmin wrote about, and would highly recommend it as well. One of my best and most fun days ever in England.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

gmin,
Did you book the Evan Evans trip prior to arriving? If so, did you do it online or over the phone?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:31 PM

We also did the Evan Evans Tour to Leeds and booked it through the Hotel concierge. We were picked up at our hotel and taken to Victoria Station to catch the coach for our Tour.
We purposefully did not book in advance in order to try and pick a fine day - as it was it rained during lunch at Canterbury, but that was all.
At the end of the day we were dropped off at a Tube Station to make our way back to our hotel.
We also loved the day and thought Leeds Castle was beautiful. I especially loved the fresh flower arrangements in every room - absolutely stunning.
Apparently the Castle was owned by an American and she left specific instructions in her Will for the flowers to be there and re-done each week.