day trip to capri from rome

Jan 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

day trip to capri from rome

we will be in rome from 6/26-7/2 and are wondering about the possibilty of doing a day trip to capri. never having been i thought i would ask the more experienced travelers here their opinion. We would be taking the train there and back. any ideas of about what time we would need to get to the ferry to capri to give us enough time to see most everything? would you do this or would you just spend the time in rome?
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I have done this as a day trip a few years back with an organized but tour (I think Green Line) from Rome. We actaully loved it and went to Capri and the Blue Grotto (only recommended if you don't get motion sickness 'cause you have to sit in a boat and wait unit you can enter the grotto). If you have limited time want to take a day trip to see the south it is worth it. Capri is gorgeous and I am happy we went (although I would love to spend a longer time there). It depends what type of experience you want from your day trip. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too. On the other hand, Florence is an easy day trip from Rome - to see art, shop, and tour another historic city - but the experiences are very different. I am sure other posters can help you with the times for the ferries.
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Hello randola, it sounds like you will have seven nights in Rome. A day trip to Capri would be a long day. Would I do it, no I wouldn't. But if you are very interested in seeing Capri and don't mind a long day and are aware that Capri is full of "daytrippers" during the day then you would probably be happy that you went to Capri. But if you plan on returning to Italy and during the next trip if you would have time to spend a night or two on Capri than I would suggest that you wait and see Capri during the next trip. Best wishes and enjoy your time in Italy.
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM

While studying in Rome a few years ago, a group of friends and I did the daytrip to Capri. We left on an early morning train (about 7:30 a.m. I believe). After we got off the ferry, we "bargained" with a local small boat captain for a four hour private boat trip around the island. It was fantastic. He would stop and let us explore caves, swim and even snorkel (he even provided the masks and snorkels). After our time was over, we disembarked and had a nice meal before taking the late afternoon (about 5:00 p.m.) ferry back to Naples. This ferry time allowed us to get on the faster train about 6:00 p.m. and back to Rome at a reasonable hour. It was a very rushed trip and a very long day, but was quite enjoyable and I'm very glad I did it. However, LoveItaly does give you good advice. If you think that you will be returning to Italy at some point with the idea of spending time to the south, I would save it for another trip. Whichever you decide, have a great trip.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Hi Randola - I've done it several times. You'd need to make an early start ...

You can find hydrofoil timetables on:
http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

I'd aim to get one by about 10.00 - so you'd be in Capri by 11.00. That would give you 6-7 hrs to explore ...

Steve

Jan 18th, 2007, 02:45 AM

In my opnion it would be a loong day. And Capri, why go where everyone goes ? Capri deserves more than a few hours.
Try Ischia instead, not so many travel hours -
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Rd

My wife and I once did that trip in reverse. We were on Capri for a week and took one day to travel to Rome. We departed extremely early, bus to Marina Grande, ferry to Napoli, taxi to the railway station and train to Rome. Spent a day in Rome obviously seeing very little but our mission was to fulfil a promise to our son to get him a Battistuta football jersey in Rome. Then the whole procedure in reverse but it can be done! By the way the only way to appreciate Capri is to stay on the island because once all the day trippers have left, absolute bliss!!
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Stay over in Naples and a day trip from there is advisable.The hydrofoils will take you to Capri ( the Blue Grotto is a must see,weather permitting).Lunch at Anacapri.Sorronto can be done too.All in a day.
The next day you could do the ruins of Pompeii before getting back to Rome.