Day trip to Bruges from Paris

Mar 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Day trip to Bruges from Paris

Any advice on a day trip to Bruge by train from Paris. Would we have to book tickets on the train before we arrive in Paris? It will be in August or early Sept. Has anyone done the day tour by bus? Thanks for any help.
Mar 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
ira

Hi Lyn,

You can get discounted fares if you book 60 days in advance at www.sncf.com.

You can take the train to Brussels and backtrack to Bruges or train to Lille-France and take the local from there.

The latter way is about the same time at a little lower cost.

Mar 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Hi, Lyn,
I've never done a bus tour of any city, but I do sugg. you take the time and walk around. You get to soak in a whole lot and at your own pace. I have been to Bruges and being a culinary student I was on the hunt for any regional and yummy foods. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. If you're a beer drinker, try the regional brews. They're incredible!
Goedenacht!
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
tmh

In my opinion, Brugges warrants more than a day.
Mar 19th, 2005, 12:39 AM

This is a trip that will have you on the train for more than 2 and a half hours one-way, either via Brussels or via Lille!
It is doable, but is it also wise?
Mar 19th, 2005, 04:19 AM

I would spend the night in Brugges. You would spend 5 hours on the train in one day otherwise. Brugges is small enough to be walkable so unless you are unable to walk any distance I would not recommend a bus tour.
Mar 19th, 2005, 04:38 AM
ira

Hi Lyn,

We took the train up in the erlymorning and the train back after an early dinner.

Had a lovely day visiting Bruges.

Mar 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM

It may not be too much to do in one day on the train, but it seemed like it, so we opted for the Paris Vision tour of Bruges. We'll see how it goes... when we took the combined Giverny/Versailles tour we didn't get enough time at either place, and plan to go back on our own to see the gardens of Versailles.

Sandy
Mar 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the positive replies, Ira that is what we had in mind, Sandy please let me know how the Paris Vision trip goes. I'll try and find the website, it might be the one I have seen where they show you around at first and you have the afternoon to yourself. A longer time there would be good as suggested by others but days are limited.
Lyn
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM

ParisVision's tour didn't give you enough time at Giverny.
ParisVision's tour didn't give you enough time at Versailles.
So you booked ParisVision's tour of Bruges.

Okaaaaay......
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Robespierre,
I guess I was unclear...I checked out the Bruges tour, and unlike the combined tour to Giverny and Versailles, the Bruges tour with Paris Vision does seem to give us enough time on our own. There is a short tour when you arrive in Bruges, and then you're on your own for a few hours. When we booked the tour to Giverny and Versailles, we had planned on going on our own, but the ticket window was closed so we went to the tourist information center on the Champs Elysées -- a couple of years ago, as it's closed now. We didn't look at a brochure. Just asked what they had available, and we booked it. We enjoyed it, but wanted to go back on our own to see the gardens.

Sandy
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Hi Lyn,
I will let you know how the tour to Bruges goes Here's the website:

http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index.cfm

Sandy
Mar 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Oh! Never mind.....
Mar 20th, 2005, 01:09 AM

By bus to Brugge for only one day? Then I'd prefer the train. Centre of Paris to Brugge on the road is - with low traffic - at least three and a half hours. That is by car, at an average speed of 130 km. Busses aren't allowed to drive that fast ...
Just my opinion!
Mar 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandypaws3

Have you had your trip to Bruges yet?
Looking forward to hearing about it. I know people say the bus trip is long, but it will be nice to be chauffeured after finding our own way around for a week.

Lyn
Mar 26th, 2005, 02:18 PM

The longer you spend getting anywhere, the less time you have to enjoy the destination (duh). Although if you don't have to be somewhere, travel has its own charm.

Were it my decision, I'd opt for the train. And I'd go out the night before and return in the evening.
Mar 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM

MyriamC- A big hello! It hardly seems possible that a year ago you were helping me navigate the sncf site on my first postings here to buy my train tickets from Paris to Bruxelle. You are a treasure! Happy travels!

LynM- Ireturned to Paris last year, sans tour, and I went to Brussels and Brugge as a sidetrip. What a pleasure to see things at my own pace! What a difference! Train tix online in advance- 50% off with at least 14 days notice. With a guided tour I am betting you will have mere hours there, not enough time, stay over if you can. I stayed overnight in Brussels in a charming hotel, and then went to Brugge. There are wonderful old churches, the canals, tucked away streets. I did stop at a few small hotels to collect info, and some were very reasonable. My return was 2 1/2 hours to Paris. To & from, really too long for 1 day.
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:02 AM

Sandypaws3:

Can you tell me about your visit to
Brugges ? What did you do there ?
I'll go by train. Do you recommend to stay there 1 night ?

tks.
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:43 AM

We did the Parisvision tour. I agree with some who say it is a good idea to spend the night, but we only had a a one week vacation so that was not possible. With paris vision you are only there for about 4 hours. However, the guides are very informative and the buses are very comfy. For a first visit I felt we were happy with the trip. At the time I was really stressed about getting onto the trains in France. I'm more confident now, and we will return to Brugges for an overnight trip or like Ira suggested eary in the AM coming back after dinner.
Brugges is a delightful little town. I got a really nice tapistry handbag there which I get numerous compliments on.