Day Trip to Assissi

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:07 AM
DJ

Day Trip to Assissi

I have performed a search for Assissi and come up with nothing. Is a day trip to Assissi recommended from Rome (we will be there for 5 days this September), or Venice (3 nights). How long would it take. Thanks for your input.

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
s.fowler

I *think* it's spelled Assisi -- but then I've never conquered that long river in the middle of the US either

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:21 AM
s.fowler

Whatever the right spelling is -- putting "assisi" in the search box brought up oodles of stuff!

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:25 AM
Dawn

Assisi from Rome is roughly 2 hours. It makes for a great day trip from Rome, and if time permits, don't forget to see the town that is just below it, (Assisi sits up high) called Santa Maria degli Angeli. You will see an enourmous Basilica thats worth a visit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
DJ

To S. Thank you for correcting my spelling error's; I now see all the "stuff" that you found, however, after looking at a large sample of it, it is useless.

Dawn, thank you for answering the question. Can you tell me what the town is known for? Where I can go via internet for more information? Thank you for any additional help.

Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:58 AM
Dawn

What Assisi is know for? It's probably next to Vatican City, the most religious place in all of Italy. St. Francis is buried there. It's a religious mecca for people all over the world. And I don't think you have to be religious. It sits high on a hill, and overlooks the Umbrian Valley and the views at sunset are spectacular. At night if you are down below and maybe staying on the outskirts somwhere, its lit up and looks like OZ. The city building are all from the same kind and color of stone. My husband has told me the story before about the stone, but I don't remember every detail to remark on it here. How are you getting from Rome to Venice?

Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:38 AM
DJ

Dawn,

We will be taking a EU train from Rome to Venice. Wow, I had know idea it was considered so important from a religious perspective. I knew St Francis of Assisi was connected to it somehow but that is the extent of my knowledge on that subject. I appreciate your sharing. The way you describe it will definately cause me to do further research on it over the coming week.

Aug 2nd, 2001, 01:52 PM
Wendy

DJ~

I practically moved into 'Assisi' and based myself there for almost a month last February. My assignment was the for the whole of Umbria, for food and wine research, and even though I drove enormous distances on some days, I always loved driving in AND out of Assisi. The views are incredible.

All of Umbria's towns are fabulous for one reason or another, but the views in Assisi are just unreal! From sunrise to sunset, the dome of Santa Maria degli Angeli below the town and the Basilica in Assisi are illuminated with either a brilliant pink light or are surrounded by fog and the domes are piercing up through the clouds...

The streets are narrow and most are cobblestoned. You can wander and enjoy getting lost passing only elderly locals carrying their groceries and visiting with neighbors who are hanging out their laundry. One afternoon, I aimed for climbing as high as I could, via the local back streets, and found myself up on a country lane that circles the top of Assisi, just below the fortezza. Nothing but the sound of silence, and a few leaves rustling. I sat there until sunset, watching the tiny white lights turn on one by one in distance villages, as well as the hot pink sun setting behind hills and mountains...the valley was shadowed in dark while the sky was on fire.

It has so much history, and so many wonderful walks to take to get lost and enjoy the stunning views of the Umbrian valley and countryside.

There aren't many great places to eat unfortunately, but I had many meals at the 'Al Frantoio' ristorante at the Hotel Fontebella: www.fontebella.com
because of the large open terrace with panoramic views in the heart of the city. It is the best restaurant in town, and I highly suggest taking your lunch there in the afternoon sun while the town takes a siesta.

Also, just off of the main square, there is a tourist shop where I stumbled onto the self-appointed 'town' photographer, where he sells maps and guide books etc... but the walls are a personal gallery of his beautiful photographs and images from every vantage point imaginable. I often determined my 'exploring' walks just trying to find that view! You can see these views at www.angelucci.com (His website is on the back of a postcard I bought of my favorite image)

Also, while you are in the area, there is a quaint tiny hilltop town called Spello, that just shouldn'tbe missed!

Buon viaggio and enjoy!

Wendy

Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:56 PM
Nicki

Wendy:

Your email address has the word "Savuer" in it. Is that as in Saveur Magazine? If it is, I subscribe to it and love it! Will this research you did appear in an upcoming issue?

Thanks,

Nicki

PS I am planning a stop in and around Umbria late October, early November.

Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:52 AM
Wendy

Nicki~

I'll be happy to offer any suggestions on the area for your trip! Feel free to e-mail me directly.

Buon viaggio,
Wendy

Aug 27th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Iloveassisi

ttt for Francesca.

Aug 30th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Helen

DJ, you will love Assisi! It is just a village out of this world, and if you are there on a Sunday, you will never forget the sound of the tolling bells echoeing through the stone streets! I am so lucky to be there for the third time on a Sunday during October!

Wendy, thanks for your beautiful description of even the atmosphere - it is so true. And it is the very first place in my love where I have seen the sky and rock really turning pink while the sun is setting.

Aug 30th, 2001, 07:13 AM
bly

What is the easiest way to get to Assisi from Rome? We won't have a car, but after the descriptions, it sounds like a wonderful side trip. Especially after 5 hectic days in Rome. Thanks. b

Sep 1st, 2001, 01:14 AM
Leslie

Here's another vote for Assisi...and I'm not religious, but all the information about St. Francis is very fascinating and inspiring. The Bascilica di San Francesco is breathtaking as are the views since Assisi sits high up on the slopes of Mt. Subasio. The frescoes inside this church are very special, including many by Giotto that signified the beginning of Renaissance era art.

Sep 1st, 2001, 04:26 AM
JimF

Nice to see so many Assisi lovers here.
Wendy - we must have seen each other at some point. I was there going to school the entire month of February. You are correct about the restaurants but most were closed in January and February. During the summer there will be many more open. Great tartufo, si? But the first two weeks in February were frigid, were they not?
The color of the stones, for those who are wondering, are a pinkish white. They are stunning when the light reflects off of the buildings in the evenings. They are doing major work in the city now, following the earthquake 3 years ago, that includes cleaning all the facades of the buildings. Most of the inhabitants have moved out leaving only about 500 still living within the walls.
Knowing that the evenings were beautiful I waited for the perfect time to take a picture of the basilica in the evening. If anyone wants a copy just email me. I even managed to get some pictures from the belltower which is not open to the public...I made friends with one of the friars at school. They give an interesting perspective to the city.
A day trip would be nice but I would recommend staying at least one night. If you must take a day trip take the direct train from Rome to Assisi to avoid have to change trains in Foligno. Have a great time there.

Sep 1st, 2001, 04:38 AM
E

My family and I went to Assisi last summer and it's a gorgeous area. We stayed in Santa Maria degli Angeli, in a hotel right next to the Basilica that Dawn mentioned. I believe the hotel is operated by the church.

In the mornings, the bells would begin to ring and wake us up. I remember that firts morning, after we'd arrived at night. I opened the window to look outside and we had a wonderful view of both the Basilica and of Assisi.

I decided then that Umbria was one of my favorites. Peaceful. Serene. One can see why any man, St. Francis included, could come to adore nature when nature looks like that.

Sep 1st, 2001, 04:43 AM
E

Oh! I forgot to mention that Assisi offeres THE BEST gelato of anywhere I've tried in Italy. There's a gelataria at the base of the entry point as you walk from the Bascilica di San Francesco into the town itself. Just on the left. It has SO many flavors and every one of the ones I tried were amazing.

Maybe it was the heat, but they get my vote.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:10 PM
Helen

Bly, I don't know if you have picked it up somewhere by now - the easiest way to Assisi from Rome is by train - about 2 hours!

Enjoy!!