Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip to Assisi, or spend the night? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-to-assisi-or-spend-the-night-631592/)

Barb Jul 17th, 2006 10:51 AM

Day trip to Assisi, or spend the night?

I will be in Rome for 9 days in October. (my 6th time) Although I am sure I can find lots of things to do in Rome for those 9 days, I am thinking about doing a day trip to Assisi, or even thinking about spending one night there. Do you think it is too far for a day trip? I know there isn't a direct train from Rome, where do you transfer and is it a no brainer? Also, any suggestions for a very budget hotel (not over 60 euro) that's within walking distance to all the sites. Or should I just stay in Rome and forget about Assisi? (never been there)

nessundorma Jul 17th, 2006 11:00 AM

I suggest that you go to Perugia for at least 3 days and book yourself into the Hotel Rosalba. (It's in your budget.) From there you can easily do a day trip to Assisi but also you can experience Perugia, and perhaps a town like Spello on your return to Roma.

The artwork in Assisi will gain a greater meaning if you see the museum if Umbrian art in Perugia, a really great museum.

nessundorma Jul 17th, 2006 11:01 AM

http://www.hotelrosalba.com/camere.htm#

tcreath Jul 17th, 2006 11:20 AM

I would suggest spending the night. Assisi is wonderful but its full of its fair share of daytrippers. If you spend the night you will have the town almost to yourself after the sun sets. We stayed in an apartment nearby and spent two evenings walking around Assisi before/after dinner and it was our favorite time there.

Tracy

Barb Jul 17th, 2006 11:45 AM

Nessundorma: Thanks for the suggestion, but I have been to Perugia and Spello and did enjoy both, but I have never been to Assisi.

tcreath: I suspected that might be the case re the daytrippers, so I'll see if I can find a nice, inexpensive (paying for apt. in Rome for that night too) hotel. Any ideas on that? What is the best area to stay in for walking to places? Also would appreciate train info from someone who has made this trip from Rome. Any suggestions of good little casual trattorias?

kismetchimera Jul 17th, 2006 12:36 PM

Barb, is only 2 hours by train from Rome to Assisi. There is a non stop train that leave Termini at 8:14 and arrive at Assisi a little after 10.You will have all day to explore the city.

Coming back you can take the ES( non stop also) at18:24, arrive at termini at 20:18.
Check trenitalia for other schedules.

tracilee Jul 17th, 2006 12:39 PM

I think it would be nice for you to spend a night in Assisi. I stayed at La Fortezza, a few years ago, it definitely fits your budget, the website shows 52Euro for a twin without breakfast. Our room was very basic, but it did have a nice private terrace which we enjoyed.

Assisi is a beautiful little town and we had a great time touring the churches as well as wandering the streets and climing the hill up to the castle. The view of the valley and olive trees was wonderful.

Hope you'll go, have a good trip!

Eloise Jul 17th, 2006 01:00 PM

Here's another possibility at 40 Euro for a single:

http://www.pallottaassisi.it/

It's a few steps down from the main square in Assisi. I've eaten at and enjoyed the trattoria; I don't know the hotel.

tribi Jul 17th, 2006 01:18 PM

My husband and I did a day trip to Assisi, we drove from Rome, what a beautiful place, after walking around and visiting the Basilica of S. Francesco and the Holy Convent, the Basilica of S. Chiara, we went to Maria degli Angeli (5 Km), after, we drovoe to Florence. I think a day trip is more than enough.

Leely Jul 17th, 2006 03:53 PM

Spend the night.

I've stayed at La Pallotta. It's fine for the price, and they'll discount your dinner if you're at the hotel.

sounds like a great trip.

Leely Jul 17th, 2006 03:56 PM

Sorry, Barb. I also meant to say that I was with 3 friends and we had two doubles; they were a fine size, but I didn't see the singles.

lhopp Jul 17th, 2006 04:09 PM

Stay the night. It's very different in the evening-just lovely. We stayed in Hotel Umbra which was perfect. Not to expensive, very nice room and quiet.

Barb Jul 18th, 2006 03:49 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I didn't know there was a nonstop ES from Roma. Thanks kismetchimera for that very helpful information. I think I am going to go and spend the night. La Pallotta looks great and for that price I can't go wrong. Leely, did you eat at the trattoria?

Barb Jul 19th, 2006 08:11 AM

This may be a dumb question, but if I had to pick one overnight to Assisi, what day should it be, i.e, Fri, Sun.? or does it really matter? I'm thinking maybe in terms of things being open. Sorry, I haven't really started to research Assisi much yet.

Eloise Jul 19th, 2006 08:32 AM

Probably not Sunday, because the churches are likely to be closed to sightseeing tourists during services.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Jul 19th, 2006 08:45 AM

Assisi is a lovely place and I would think that it would be even more atmospheric at night when all the day trippers leave. There seem to be many many choices for hotels so I'm sure you'll find something quite easily in your price range. I think it would be a nice break from the city if you stayed overnight and you could relax and enjoy your time there.

Leely Jul 19th, 2006 09:10 AM

Barb,

Yes, we ate at the trattoria and it was good--not amazing, just good, Umbrian food. This was a winter visit, so I appreciated tyhe soup, the sausage...all the heavy goodies.

I'd probably try to visit on a weekday when there would hopefully be fewer crowds.

La Pallotta, should you book there, is more (or was in 2004) "pensione" in feel than "hotel." I liked it but that kind of thing isn't for everyone.

Enjoy Assisi. It's a great side trip from Rome.

Barb Jul 19th, 2006 10:38 AM

Leely: thanks for the info on the restaurant. I have no problems with staying in a pensione, actually I prefer them. Is it pretty centrally located? I just emailed to see if they have a room for October 13th, gulp Fri. the 13th!

Leely Jul 19th, 2006 04:46 PM

Centrally located? Yes, definitely, right of one of the main piazze. "Old town" Assisi is pretty small, so you don't need to worry about location.

Friday the 13th, huh? Well, probably a good idea to have St. Francis on your side, then. ;)

Dayle Jul 19th, 2006 05:51 PM

Hi Barb,

Yes, since you have had so much time in Rome, do treat yourself to an overnight in Assisi. There is so much to see, I think you might go into church and fresco overload if you try to do it all in a day! Very beautiful town.

I stayed (unexpectedly due to unacceptable hotel in Gubbio) at Hotel Porto Nuova, a 3* just outside the town gates. Breakfast included, free parking (although I know you aren't driving). Very basic rooms, but clean & quiet and a good breakfast. I paid just 50E for a double last Sept.

Since you are going solo once again - I'm sure you will have a LOT more fun than the last - dare I call it a -- vacation?

Buon viaggio!