Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Aran Islands by Bus & Ferry from Doolin

Mar 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Will be in Galway mid August for 3 nights. Enjoyed a nice day trip to Aran Islands with spouse several years ago. We walked all over Inis Mor and returned via ferry back to Doolin; our base was Doolin next to pier at Sea Breeze.

Any suggestions for doing this trip (solo) from Galway city? Staying outside Salt Hill in lovely residential area. I visited Cliffs of Moher last year by Bus Eireann on my Open Roads Pass. Not sure if I could make it back on ferry to get return bus from Doolin to Galway city.
Hoping there will be help out there. Thank you.
Mar 4th, 2018, 06:30 PM

faherytours.com check this out, going from Rossveal ferry, he picks you up at Galway bus station and takes you to ferry and has a van to take you around.
Mar 5th, 2018, 04:27 AM

Link is fahertytours.com/

Thanks, macross. That sounds like a possibility for us in the future!
Mar 5th, 2018, 05:06 AM

I can't get a link to work so thank you. We have gone twice with Micheal. He is a native and works with the film industry on locations since they use the islands for filming often. It is all-inclusive, the ride to ferry, the ferry, the van and back to bus station. He even dropped off some people at their hotels. I loved the fort and view, better than the cliffs of Moher.
Mar 5th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses for day trip from Galway to Aran Islands. Happy to report there is a shuttle bus from Eyre Sq. area to Rossavel pier to connect with a fast ferry to Inish Mor. After about 4 hours sightseeing shuttle bus will meet group for return to Galway city arriving about 7pm. That is exactly what I was hoping for and its reasonable about 25 euros. Think its a better deal than having to worry about getting from Galway to Doolin on a regular bus and having to get back on time for return journey. I can order my ticket online as soon as I have my plans organized and when booking is confirmed will just present the code number at pier to enter ferry. Am looking forward to this enjoyable day trip. Thanks again.
Mar 7th, 2018, 08:56 AM

Only four hours

Only four hours? Not much time. There is a cafe at the bottom of the mountain to the fort. Great for lunch. I want to go back and spend the night there.

/