Road Trip Central Europe on June

Old May 6th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip Central Europe on June

Hi

Three of my friends and me are planning to do a road trip around Central Europe, mainly to visit the Alps. The plan is to start from Munich where we will rent the car then visit Switzerland, Italy, Austria and back to Germany.
To start with you should know that we live in a country by the desert so any greenary scenes is considered an attraction for us
So basically the idea we had that in our way to each stop point we do visit couple of attractions a castle or a fort maybe
And yes we aren't much into museums or historical areas would love to include couple (which are must see) but it's not like we want to see every single museum out there
We are into cafes with beautiful scenes or locations were we can relax and enjoy coffee with a chat
Moreover we are searching now for those must try restaurants so that's something to add for our tast.
To sum up, we are looking to have the chance to drive around as many places as we can with seeing a bit of each place and mostly enjoy the ride in the mountains

Below is the planned scheduling
Day1 07/06/2015 Munich To Fussen,
Spend 1 night in Fussen and visit the Neuschwanstein Castle.
Day2 08/06/2015 Interlaken, Switzerland
Day3 09/06/2015 Interlaken, Switzerland
Day4 10/06/2015 Lake Iseo, Italy
Day5 11/06/2015 Lake Iseo, Italy
Day6 12/06/2015 Lak Iseo to Innsbruck, Austria,
spend the night in Innsbruck
Day7 13/06/2015 Innsbruck, Austria to Salzburg pass by Zell am See
Day8 14/06/2015 Salzburg, Austria
Day9 15/06/2015 Salzburg, Austria, Visit Hallstat
Day10 16/06/2015 Salzburg to Munich, Germany

Do you think the planning looks reasonable?
And what would be the best suggestions for stops to see attractions? I’ve been doing the planning through Michelin Maps, which I found to be more useful than google maps

Also, we are still wondering if we should visit Innsbruck or just drive to the Dolomite mountains spend a night there and head directly to Zell am See instead of Innsbruck?

Am open for any ideas or suggestions so feel free to add comments.

Thanks
M
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My BIL did something similar last week. Lots of twisty roads and high passes, use of Michelin on the web will give you good travel times (though google may give you better routes). You know Austrian motorways needs a vignette?

I like Zell a lot and that valley is as nice a valley to stop in as any other. Take the lift up to the Glacier for instance is a good summer trip. Dolomites especially nice, try the local food.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
click on the triangle and ask the moderators to take off the "trip" icon, it is designed for post-visit trips not pre-planning trips.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:27 AM

mohd_sanad,

You have this incorrectly tagged as a Trip Report. I suggest you contact the admin. and have them remove that icon. Thanks!

LisaG
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:59 AM

Well you're actually in western europe and as for Lichtenstein - it takes about 20 minutes to get through the county which is known primarily for stamps. Yes, there are parts of some mountains but the rest are in austria.

For munich I would not do Neuschwanstein - which is famous primarily due to the fact that Disney modeled his princess castle on it. It;s not old or a real castle - but a faux palace built by Mad King Ludwing in the 1860s. IMHO much better to see one of this more interesting places - Linderhof or Herrenchiemsee - both of which we found much more interesting.

Note that you seem to have included travel time in days you have listed as being IN places - so you may actually have only one day to explre most places. When designing routes look for the most interesting - not the shortest - or you will just end up on a lot of major highways.

And be aware that heading up into the higher mountains can be unworkable. The tops are high enough to be in the clouds and even on days perfectly fine int he valleys seeing anything from the top may be impossible - could easily be heavy clouds or even rain/snow.
So you really need to be flexible or head up only the lower peaks (Jungfraujoch from Interlaken you may have to wait 3 or 4 days - but the much lower Pilatus from Lucerne may be doable many more days).

Also be prepared for rain at any time - small folding umbrellas and tissue weight rain jackets.