Day trip Sorrento to Amalfi Coast with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 4 (2 boys aged 13 and 10) travelling to Italy in July (I know, crazy timing but it's all that works with school) and as part of our trip will be in Sorrento for 4 nights. One of our 3 non-travel days is dedicated to the Amalfi Coast. This day is mostly for me as I can't imagine being in this area and missing the Coast, but it's the day I fear will be the least interesting to my active boys.

My plan had been to take the Sita bus from Sorrento straight through to Amalfi, but the thought of 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a crowded non air conditioned bus is beginning to scare me. I thought we would change buses in Amalfi for Ravello and either eat lunch in Ravello or bring a picnic. I then wanted to do the Ravello-Atrani-Amalfi walk down and, if time permits, have a quick dip in the water (either in Atrani or Amalfi) before the 16:30 ferry back to Sorrento.

I'm looking for advice about that first leg as I fear the bus will make the rest of the family super grumpy. My boys are pretty tolerant of lines and heat, but I'm wondering if this will be too much.

Alternatives (as I can see them) are to ferry both ways or to hire a driver. Am I missing the best part if I miss the "drive" from Positano to Amalfi? A private driver would solve this but presumably so much pricier. I've sent an email to a couple of companies as it was hard to figure out how much a one way drive would cost on-line. I don't think I want a whole day tour as I would really like to see the coast from the water and my boys will like the hiking. I saw a post somewhere about a hop on hop off bus from Sorrento to Amalfi (thinking this would solve the non AC problem?) but I'm wondering if this trip is discontinued as all I can find now are HOHO Sorrento tours. Am I missing options?

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I was there in July a few years ago (and am going back this coming July) and we did the bus ride as well as the ferry. We were in Sorrento a total of 8 days so two different days we went to Amalfi/Ravello. The day we took the bus we got an early bus. I think about 8:30 and it was not crowded. It's an absolutely gorgeous ride. My husband did get a bit car sick and I've heard this happens fairly frequently. I was OK going, coming back the driver was going pretty fast and I got a bit queasy. But I'm not sure I'd miss that ride. The boat was great as well but I think the scenery was better on the bus (and better going to Amalfi then coming back towards Sorrento).

We also did the walk down from Ravello to Atrani/Amalfi. Beautiful but a LOT of steps. Your active boys will love it.

Here's my trip report from that trip. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks isabel. Your pictures are incredible! I read your trip report back when I was first planning this trip, but it was useful to read it again now.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:15 AM

We just returned home from Sorrentine Peninsula and the Amalfi Coast and did the drive by car without problems but we've been driving in Italy for years. Given the time of year you're going I would opt for a ferry if it's within your budget. The view from the water is much better than the road and you won't deal with traffic.
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>but the thought of 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a crowded non air conditioned bus <<<

Why would you think the buses don't have AC? While AC in Europe isn't the walk-in freezer it is in the US, theses buses typically have AC.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Kybourbon, I have read on a number of posts that the Sita buses are very crowded on this run and not air conditioned. Is this incorrect? We do plan on taking a ferry back but I was hoping to see the coast both from the land and the sea.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:52 PM
ekc

Especially in July, the buses will be overcrowded and hot, even if there is AC. I would spring for a driver to take you to Amalfi, then ferry back.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:46 PM

I'm not saying that the buses won't be 'overcrowded and hot' in July but my experience in July 2010 was not that way. Taking several different legs of the trip (Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi-Ravello-back) the buses were not even totally full. Most of the trip reports I'm reading talking about the horrible crowds seem to be in May, June and September and I'm wondering if people are just assuming that if they are crowded then that they would be worse in July. I do know that in Venice, for example, I've been told by locals (hotel workers) that July is actually LESS crowded than May, June and September. I don't know if it's the same on the AC, but I'm just saying, I wouldn't necessarily miss the bus ride just because you think it 'probably' will be crowded. If money is no object a driver would probably be more fun anyway but unfortunately for lots of us, money is an object.