Reload this Page >

Day Trip Rome to Assisi - your help is needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
Sandy

For days I have text searched, back-pedaled through emails, all to no avail. Searching for a request. I now repost the question, using as clear and distinct a title as I can think...<BR>The problem for which your help is needed...<BR>&gt;8-9 days in Rome for me and my mom<BR>&gt;Day trip to Assisi for mom, small village for me (hopefully Orvieto based on threads I have read here)<BR>The opinions requested are...<BR>&gt;Go by train or car<BR>&gt;Go and stay overnight or make two separate day trips<BR>This is the last big q. on the itinerary planning part. Thanks so much for any help. Sandy

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
M

I enjoyed the peace and quiet of the evenings in Assisi, and so it is definitely worth an overnight stay. However, if you are looking to minimize the amount of luggage moving during your stay, a day trip would be fine. Keep in mind, however, that not all trains to Assisi are direct; some require a change of train. Assisi is a bit too far from Rome for a day trip for my taste, but certainly possible.<BR><BR>As for Orvieto, most (if not all) of the trains from Rome are direct. I have done this as a day trip from Rome before, and train time is just over one hour. You need to take a funicular (takes about 2 minutes) and then a 5-minute bus ride to the center of Orvieto once you get to the train station at Orvieto.<BR><BR>I would not rent a car for these excursions from Rome, and I would be sure to start early enough in the morning if you are making Assisi a day trip. There are some great restaurants in these two towns as well. Enjoy both of them!<BR><BR>M

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Tim

Sandy,<BR><BR>You definitely want to stay overnight in Assisi. Not only is it charming, there are LOTS of good, inexpensive ($50) Internet-bookable rooms.<BR><BR>There are four or five direct trains to Assisi daily (counting the IR trains). Second-class tickets are about $19 each way. Take a taxi to your hotel room (the driver will find it for you), and then take one of the Plaza buses back to the train station. (We caught the 5:30 PM train and were in Rome by 8:00.)

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:50 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Sandy, have been into<BR>Assisi, twice by bus and once by car<BR>both of which worked out very well. However for you and your mother would<BR>suggest you do it by rail with an overnite in Assisi and Orvieto<BR>You leave Rome, midmorning and either on<BR>a direct train or change at Foligano<BR>to SM Angeli the station for Assisi about 2 hr 15 min.tripand<BR>then take a taxi to your hotel in Assisi.Enjoy the day , have a good dinner at maybe your hotel. We have<BR>used the WINDSOR SAVOIA, on all occations, it is old, clean and a wonderful view of the valley below.The<BR>next morning, take the taxi back to SMA<BR>and take the train to Orvieto changing<BR><BR>trains at either Otre or Terontl and upon arriving in Orvieto aboput 2 hr 09 mins later. Would take the taxi from<BR>the station direct to your hotel with<BR>mom and luggage, no hassle. See Orvieto<BR>and have a good dinner, we used the hotel MAITANI twice but appeared could use a bit of remodeling. Return to<BR>Rome the next morning with about an <BR>hours trip. If you want a coupld of<BR>ristorantes in Orvieto, drop me a lline<BR>and will feply. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il... <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Maira

Sandy, I know how you feel because I posted extensively on your question with some recs for hotels and now is wiped out, gone!! (urghhh!).<BR><BR>I was in Assisi two weeks ago (sigh!) with Mom. After four days in Rome's hustle and bustle, we enjoyed Assisi immensely. I recommend that you train to Assisi and spend at least an overnight. The trick is to plan well. We returned to the Hotel Genio in Rome and they were very gracious in keeping our luggage for the weekend (we left for Assisi on a Friday and returned Monday afternoon). We just took a small bag with clothes for the weekend. From Rome Termini to the station in Assisi was about two hours (we took the Eurostar). Once at Assisi we took a taxi as it was pouring rain and we wanted to rest. The cab was expensive for a 3 Km ride (about $10/both) to Hotel Dei Priori. Strongly recommend the hotel. Even though I screwed up the reservation (made reservations at the Priori in FLORENCE) and they were fully booked, my Mom and I were given a family bedroom at the Hotel Alexander (same owner) at much less the price of the double room at the Priori. My Mom's room window opened to the Piazza Dei Comune and mine to Chiesa Nuova. On Sunday morning, the church bells woke me up, I though I was in heaven. Sundays in Assisi are very, very special. <BR><BR>At a minimum make sure you have dinner at the Priori. Excellent food. Other hotels that I noticed had an excellent location were the Umbra, Windsor Savoia, Fontebella, and Il Palazo. I wouldn't stay near Santa Maria dei Angelli. Too far from the hilltop where the Basilica and other main sights are. To go back to the station, just buy the bus tickets at the Tabacchi store near the Porta Nuova (about $0.80). Hope you and your Mom have a fabulous time!!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Sandy

Thank you all so much. Will read, digest, check the maps, and write back....