Notices

Day Trip Out of London

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 09:00 PM
Monroe

Day Trip Out of London

My wife and I woould like to take a "day off" from our London stay and take a train to a large village or small city, by train. Travel time around an hour or so. We would like to walk around, check out the shops, have lunch, keep our eyes open and then head back to London in the late afternoon. Someone suggested Farnam. Any other suggestions or ideas? Would appreciate.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 11:02 PM
Jan

How about Winchester? The travel time is about right and there is plenty to see on a day trip, visit the cathederal, walk along the water meadows,have lunch in the Wykeham Arms, plus there are some nice shops to check out. Plus you will be travelling in the opposite direction to the commuter traffic, so getting a seat on a train should not be a problem.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:14 AM
elaine

Bath or Oxford are two of my favorite daytrips, although if you are going in summer Bath will be crowded.
Bath
www.bath.co.uk web site for train and other information about Bath
The Bath Tourist Information Centre is in The Colonnades at 11-13 Bath Street, just west of the Roman Baths.
Phone 1 225 46 28 31.
Sally Lunn's: 9 North Parade Passage, a block south of the Abbey. Also in an historic house, a nice place for lunch or afternoon tea. By all means have a hot Bath bun.
There is an excellent walking tour of Bath, sightseeing information, and a useful map of Bath in the travel book "Daytrips from London" by Steinbicker.
Oxford
Oxford Univ. www.ox.ac.uk/
Oxford Visitors Information www.oxfordcity.co.uk/
You can take the train from Paddington Station to Oxford. It's about a 50 minute ride. Ask for a discounted day return ticket. At the Oxford train station you can find Green and Yellow bus tours for Oxford. They have tour guides. You can hop off and on a bus at your leisure. Or get yourself into town and go to the Oxford tourist information centre, where they offer guided tours of some of the Oxford colleges and notable buildings during the day. For train info, www.thetrainline.com
For transport to Oxford you can also take a bus (coach) from Victoria Station for the Oxford bus station daily about every 20 minutes, trip takes about 1 ¾ hours. Phone in London 01990/808080.
There is also the "Oxford tube", an express coach with a 90 minute trip. Every 20 minutes, 24 hours per day. Call in London 011865/772250

The Oxford tourist information centre is at the Old School Gloucester Green, opposite the bus station. The telephone number is 01865/726871. They sell maps and brochures.
Open Mon-Sat from 9:30 am to 5; Sunday and bank holidays in summer from 10-3. The walking tours of selected colleges leave daily at 11am and 2pm. They do not include Christ Church or New colleges.
"Guide Friday" has an office at the Oxford rail station, call 01865/790522. Offers one-hour open-top bus tours
around Oxford. Call for seasonal schedules.
The Oxford Story, 6 Broad Street phone 01865/790055 has an audio-visual presentation of Oxford. Daily 10-4:30. Family rates available.

There is a also a very good suggested walking tour of Oxford and a map of the city centre in the same book
"Daytrips from London" by Steinbicker.

Blenheim Palace is just outside of Oxford, accessible independently by taxi or bus.
http://www.camelotintl.com/heritage/
house/blenheim.html

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:52 AM
Peg

WINDSOR, is just the best place for a day trip from London. It is an amazing sight looking up at Windsor Castle which dominates the skyline. When you visit the castle make sure you see Queen mary's wonderful dolls house. It is easy to get to by train which takes you to the town centre. Don't miss it!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Penny

Monroe,

There are so many excellent ones!

If you like Shakespeare, I recommend Stratford. I just did this trip with my daughter in April. You can take a morning train from Paddington and arrive in time to do some sightseeing before taking in a matinee. Then there's time for more sightseeing before things close. Then dinner at the Dirty Duck pub and the train back to London. It's a touristy city, but tasteful. I was happy to see that it hadn't changed markedly in the 20 years between visits.

Also possibilities: either Windsor or Hampton Court; Warwick Castle (which is near Stratford, but if you do both I think you'd have to skip the theater, which would be a shame); Oxford; Cambridge; Canterbury; Greenwich; St. Albans . . . .

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 04:10 AM
Paul

Hi,

Winchester is an excellent suggestion - allow a full day though, its about a 90 minute train journey each way. And yes, do have lunch at the Wykeham Arms, a wonderful pub with very good food.

Alternatively there is a web page suggesting some good day trips out of london at:
http://www.hotelsandflights.com/london-daytrips.html

Regards,
Paul.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:48 AM
Freddy Pranteda

Baires, July 21st., 2000

During my stay in London on business,
last November I had only 1 day off work and decided to take the Hampton Court Palace visit. If you intend to do a complete tour of the castle, though, better be there by 09:00 otherwise you will miss some of the Castle's different and delightful tours. The place, both in- and outdoors is beautiful. The gardens are impressive. Highly advisable. Travel time by train is about 30 or 40 minutes and then a taxicab from station to the very Castle.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:12 AM
lisa

Cambridge is lovely and easily accessible by a short train ride. At the Cambridge train station you can board a red double-decker bus for a tour of the city which allows you to get on and off the bus as much as you like all day long, so you can visit all of the colleges, etc. You can go punting on the river Cam and have lunch outside at a pub along the river. There are lots of cute little shops in town and wonderful history with the University. I highly recommend it.

My first choice, though, would be Bath which someone else already recommended -- although I believe it's not as close to London as Cambridge is if I recall correctly.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 09:04 AM
kam

Canterbury is probably our favorite. Just right for a day. Beware Stratford if you're doing this on a weekend--the train schedule changes! So much to see in Stratford, I would stay overnight. Bath is great as well, but as stated above, crowded in tourist season.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 07:03 AM
Carl

Greenwich makes a nice day trip from London. The Cutty Sark, National Maritime Museum, Queen's House and the Old Royal Observatory are all there as is the wonderful quaint town. Go on a Saturday which is market day and get a picnic lunch and picnic in the park below the old observatory or on the hill. Take a walk along the Thames and have a drink or lunch at the historic Trafalgar Tavern with the water at your feet. When we went we took the tube and light rail from London and used the pedestrian bridge under the Thames. There is a TI near the exit of the tunnel where they can provide you with maps of walking tours of Greenwich. On our return to London we took the boat for a leisurely cruise on the Thames back to Westminister. This made for a relaxing and wonderful diversion from our London stay and still getting us back in time for our theater and dinner date that night. Happy travels.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:36 AM
Paul

Thanks a lot for tqking the time to send along the Stratford info. Really appreciate it.
Monroe

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:39 AM
Freddu

Thanks a lot for your reply on a day trip from London. Appreciate getting all the information. HamptonCourt soounds great!
Monroe

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:44 AM
Lisa

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about Cambridge. Since we have spent some time at Oxford, this is a great idea. Appreciate it.
Monroe

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:47 AM
kam

Thanks a lot for your reply on the day trip from London. Appreciate all the info you passed along.
Monroe

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 11:50 AM
Carl

Thanks so much for your advice about a day trip from London. Good idea. Appreciate all the info.
Monroe

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:01 PM
Kathy

We just returned from London. We did a daytrip to Bath and loved it. We left London from Paddington Station at 7:45, arriving in Bath at 9:00. We went through the Roman baths when they first opened, did a Guide Friday tour, saw the Costume museum, and just rambled around. We left to return to London late in the afternoon. It was a lovely city.

We also went to Hampton Court. If you travel after 9:30 the roundtrip tickets are about half what you pay before then. The train station is just across the bridge from the palace. We spent a good five hours there and could have spent more. The palace is wonderful to see, and the gardens are absolutely beautiful.

Both are great trips, but Bath is more of daytrip out of London to me.