Day trip--London to Oxford?

Feb 18th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Vicki

Day trip--London to Oxford?

Anyone know if it's an easy day trip from London to visit the college in Oxford? I will be in London in mid-June for 5 nights with my daughter, and we'd like to visit Oxford one day--is there a train ride? How much does it cost? How long a trip is it?

Also, anybody have thoughts on Comfort Inn Vauxhall? Thanks!

Feb 18th, 2002, 08:34 AM
AnnaC

It is an easy day trip to Oxford from London. Trains leave somewhere around every 20-30 minutes from Paddington station and take about an hour. Look at www.railtrack.co.uk for timetable information

I'm not sure how much it costs - it may vary to some extent depending on the times of trains you get. Try www.thetrainline.com to get an idea of prices.

Feb 18th, 2002, 08:51 AM
janis

Don't know the current fare but the railtrack website will give you that information. Be sure to buy a "day return" ticket - it will be cheaper.

Once you get to Oxford first hit the Tourist Information in Gloucester Green. They offer really good inexpensive(4 GBP) walking tours several times every day. The tour will take about 2 hours and give you a good overview. Plus many of the Colleges are not open to the public and this walkinf tour will get you inside at least one or two. After the tour you will have a lot better idea what parts of the city appeal to you.

After the walking tour, the rest of the day will be free to wander around. Christ Church (the largest college) does open its grounds, chapel (really more like a small cathedral), dining hall etc to visitors.

At minimum, be sure to visit the Covered market (access off the High street and Cornmarket/Market streets), the Ashmolean Museum, St Marys Church on the High (you can climb the tower for a great view over the whole city), and a couple of pubs. For a really good "whole foods" meal look for the Nosebag just off of Cornmarket.

Feb 18th, 2002, 09:21 AM
ron

Assuming the Comfort Inn is near the Vauxhall tube station, you have two choices:

1. Tube to Paddington, changing from Victoria to Bakerloo line at Oxford Circus, and train to Oxford

2. Tube to Victoria, pick up coach to Oxford outside Victoria Station on Grosvenor Gardens. The Coach lines are Oxford Tube and Oxford Express. At 8 coaches an hour, this is much more frequent service than the train. And it will let you off in Gloucester Green, where the TIC is.

Feb 18th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Brian Kilgore

When I went to Oxford (tourist, one day, not student) I rented a car in central London, and drove.

It was a fine trip, although nervous North American drivers might not like the idea of driving on the left side of the road. (see below)

We liked having the car because we could go visit the surrounding countryside.

The downside of left hand driving was that I just gave up after several truips around the block trying to cope, on our return to London, with No Right Turn signs and one way streets, and eventually parked the car and walked to the car rental office and told them to go get it. I figured they knew how to find their way back to the garage.

BAK

Feb 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
David

Vicki

A cheap day return ticket from Paddington to Oxford is currently £15.60. One thing to bear in mind is that you could make a long day of it as it will not get dark at that time of year until 10 -10:30pm.

Feb 18th, 2002, 12:22 PM
janis

The train or coach is definitely your best option. I always drive in the UK and know Oxford like the back of my hand - but there is almost no easy parking and several streets are closed off in Oxford. After years of official policy to discourage cars in the city center they have succeeded.

So even the "natives" use the park and ride lots out on the ring road and take buses into the city. So it is much better to take the bus or train from London and get off right in the center of things.

Feb 18th, 2002, 07:51 PM
dean

David--What would be the price of a day return ticket from Paddington to Windsor?

Feb 19th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Edward

I would also recommend taking the coach service (bus), since there are more to choose from and you arrive in the center of things. The train, while perhaps a bit faster, will of course deliver you to the Oxford station, which is a bit out from the center of town. From there you will need to take a taxi, or hike, into the center. The coach service is also cheaper by a bit.

If you have any interest, there is a good company located in the same complex as the TIC that provides nice tours of the Cotswalds, small group of 4-6 in a minivan, with driver and guide. We did one of these and it was very nice. Our guide was a recent PhD in English History from on of the colleges in Oxford and he was excellent. Got a good overview of the Cotswalds, had lunch in a small pub, and overall it was well worth the money. I am sorry I do not recall the name of the tour company but the offices are close to TIC.

HAVE FUN.

Feb 19th, 2002, 05:48 AM
lisa

Oxford can easily fill up a day, but it is a compact city that is easily walkable. Many of the colleges are not open to the public, except on weekends. The doors may look small (you have to stoop to enter many), but will be open if they are open.

In addition to Christ Church, which is beautiful, you might also view Magdlen (pronounced "maudlin") College which is on the river and has deer in its garden you can pet. Lincoln College is a favorite since it inspired Alice in Wonderland and you can still visit Wesley's room (founded the Methodist Movement). You might also try St. John's College which is known for its exquisite gardens (again, only open on weekends).

Here is a website with some quick info on various sights in Oxford:

http://www.aboutbritain.com/towns/oxford.asp?RefID=1500351

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
lisa

Oh! Oh! Oh! -- and Worcester College. They have a beautiful garden with a lake (and swans, if I recall correctly).

Feb 19th, 2002, 02:42 PM
David

Dean

It's currently £6.30 from Paddington or Waterloo.

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:23 PM
dean

David--Thus a round trip from Paddington or Waterloo to Windsor would be #12.60 and do we ask for a round trip?

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:31 PM
ron

No, £6.30 is the cheap day return fare (its probably also the one way fare).

Feb 19th, 2002, 10:18 PM
janis

To maybe clear it up a little - round trip is called "return" in the UK. A "day return" is a round trip ticket taken both directions on the same day. For years it has been possible to buy day return tickets for about the same as a one way ticket.

It is a great bargain for tourists who want to just do day trips - you are basically getting one way free.