day trip into Western Poland from Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Germany in early May. We're staying with friends in a little town between Dresden and Berlin and we'd like to take a day trip into Western Poland. Does anyone have suggestions, advice as to what town or sights might be nice. Preferably something quaint or historic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Personally, I did not do this when I did a home exchange in Berlin two years ago. I just ran out of time. <BR><BR>Most people who do this go to Stettin in Poland. There are even some shopping trips for Germans that go there by using the canals. I do think going for one day is not realistic unless you just want to &quot;pop&quot; over the frontier to the nearest town to say you have been in Poland.<BR><BR>I believe it is a good few hours driving to get to Stettin. You may remember the name Stettin from Winston Churchill's &quot;Iron Curtain&quot; speech (&quot;From Stettin on the Baltic. . . an Iron Curtain has descended.&quot<BR><BR>If you go, let the rest of us know how it turned out.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Zitzil - Wroclaw is about a 3hour drive from Dresden (autobahn almost all the way). It is a beautiful city with a magnificent Town Hall and old city, and shares both a Polish and German heritage. Certainly worth a day trip, but obviously stretching it. Enjoy!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM
ira

Hi,<BR> Auschwitz is a 2 hr train ride from Dresden.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM

ira, are you sure? viamichelin.com says its almost 300 miles and 5.5 hours to drive from Dresden to Auschwitz/Oswiecim. I can't imagine the train making it in 2.<BR><BR>But then lots of things happen that I never imagine.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:50 PM
ira

Hi indytravel,<BR> Thanks for checking. I looked again and found that I had mistaken the number of changes of train for the duration.<BR> My apologies. It's 10 1/2 hrs.<BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM
rex

Here is a lot of thread on which there are a lot of ideas about the area which includes Wroclaw, Jelenia Gora and the region of Poland nearest the Germany-Czech Republic-Poland &quot;Drei-Ecke&quot;.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34399207<BR><BR>Bes t wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Auschwitz is near Cracow, Poland. Cracow is in Eastern Poland and definitely not a day trip from Germany.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:58 AM

Suggestion: Lichen, Poland. Site of new large cathedral. Amazing. Near Poznan, then Konin. Search for, Lichen, Poland. Wroclaw, try Spis restaurant, surprizingly good Mexican menu! Plus in-house beer.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to Lauren,Charlie,ira, indy,rex and steed. Sorry it took so long for me to thank you all for your answers (and for the laugh ira... that's something I would do) I'll be travelling minus my appendix now, thus the long response time. Thankfully it chose to go before the trip, not during. I'll let you know how the trip goes.