Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip ideas from Pitigliano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-ideas-from-pitigliano-68069/)

Catherine Apr 10th, 2000 06:25 PM

Day trip ideas from Pitigliano

My family & I are going to be in Pitigliano for a few days this summer. Any "must sees" you can let us in on? We will have a car & the afternoons to explore. Thanks, Catherine <BR>

Dona Apr 12th, 2000 10:03 AM

Catherine, <BR> <BR>I loved Pitigliano - it's a wonderful little town. There are a number of things to see. <BR> <BR>You're not far from Orvieto and Perugia to the east and the rest of Tuscany to the North. Porto Santo Stefano is a lovely little town on the water - and from there you can visit the island of Giglio (I didn't get the chance to go but it looks interesting). Also, some of the best beaches that I found in Italy are along a stretch called The Maremma - which is a national park along the coast. You can take guided tours - and the animals are fantastic (white long-horned bulls were my favorite!) The area has the feel of the African plains - and the beaches are terrific. Depending on how much time you have, you're not too far from Elba (can be reached from Piombino). There's another very nice town called Capalbio and nearby there's some sort of "amusement park" with large puppets (I didn't go and my memory is fuzzy - but you can probably find it in a guide book...) <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time and if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly... <BR> <BR>Dona

Catherine Apr 13th, 2000 06:56 PM

Dona: <BR>Thank you so much for your nice, informative reply. We will definately highlight the towns you mentioned on our map & check them out. <BR>Thanks again, Catherine <BR>

russ Apr 13th, 2000 10:29 PM

Spend a couple hours in the wonderful small nearby town of Savona. Very well restored. There are also hundreds of Etruscan tombs around the town as well which warrant a half-day of exploration. Have fun.

Dona Apr 15th, 2000 01:48 PM

Catherine, <BR> <BR>I didn't have "my books" with me when I responded before - but I do now. <BR> <BR>I never got to Savona, but I did go to Sovana (if that isn't confusing!!) - a very "cute" one street town. Looks very upscale - in fact, this whold area is rather upscale - I think it gets a lot of Rome's weekend house crowd. <BR> <BR>The Maremma cowboys also stage rodeos - which could be fun. <BR> <BR>Another place to visit is the area around Saturnia. As you get closer,. you;ll notice lots of cars seemingly parked along the side of the road. I found out that they are lolling in all of the hot springs in the area - spo bring your bathing suit! In fact, there's an area called Cascate del Gorello on the Montemerano road which has hot spring rock pools and waterfalls in which people can bathe. <BR> <BR>The name of the place that I thought was an amusement park - is really a modern sculpture garden called Giardino dei Tarocchi - just south of Capalbio. I think it represents Tarot cards and at least one of the sculptures is 3 stories high and made of broken mirrors. <BR> <BR>I found that the Eyewitness Guide of Florence and Tuscany was helpful in seeing the area (alhthough this area is only a small portion of the book)... <BR> <BR>As you can tell from my enthusiasm this was a great trip - so if you want additional information I'd be glad to share... <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Dona

Catherine Apr 16th, 2000 05:48 PM

Dona <BR>Every time you post something, I get more & more excited about this journey. I have printed out both of your responses & their coming w/ us to Italy! As I get closer to the departure date, I may bother you w/ last minute questions. <BR>Thanks, Catherine

Saraho May 22nd, 2008 08:59 PM

ttt

Steve_James May 23rd, 2008 12:57 AM

Hi Sara - I suggest you start a new post with your own question, rather than topping a post which is 8 yrs old.

Steve