day trip from Sorrento to Rome

Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:23 AM
sally walters

day trip from Sorrento to Rome

I am an inexperienced international traveler heading for Sorrento, Italy, Monday. It's a group trip but there is one free day. I'd like to go from Sorrento to Rome and back to Sorrento in that day. What is the best travel method and is this a possible trip? Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks. Sally Walters in Chapel Hill, NC

Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:22 AM
Elsa

I suppose it is possible to go to Rome from Sorrento in a day, but I don't think it would be worth your time & money. You'd have to start off VERY early and get back VERY late. It will take you about 1 hr. to go from Sorrento to Naples. There you will catch the train to Rome - 2hr. train ride, not counting time spent waiting around the station for the train once you arrive at the station from Sor. Of course, the same goes for the return. Just on transportation, you will spend about 7plus hrs. (depending on connections) out of your day. Then once your in Rome, there are soooooooooo many things to see. We were in Rome about 4 days, and could have used more time. The only museum we got to was the Vatican. You will be on the go CONSTANTLY. How about just doing the Amalfi coast, or Pompeii? Those would be MUCH more doable, or are those onyour tour? Even if they are, I would redo 1 on your "free" day, or take a daytrip to Capri instead of trying to "do" Rome.

Elsa

Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:29 AM
Mode

We were in Sorrento and Rome last year. I can think of three ways to do this; train, rental car, and private taxi. Train travel will involve going from Sorrento to Rome on a regional train to Naples, then to Rome on a main line train. My memory says a couple of hours, depending on connections. So you've already lost 4-6 of sightseeing and if first trip to Italy, train travel and station could be confusing. Rental car - probably not an option unless you are fluent in Italian to read road signs and maps; and Rome is not the easiest place for a novice to navigate around/park. Private taxi - probably the best option but most expensive. Depending on how bad you want to see Rome and budget minded you are. They drive direct. and Some of the travel books discuss private taxis. For two or three people, might be affordable and good way to visit Rome for a day. So much to see; so little time. Have a great trip!

Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:46 AM
hamlet

You can't "do" Rome in one day, but you can certainly visit! As mentioned by previous posters you can take the Circumvesuviana train to Naples and then a train to Rome. This whole process takes between 3-4 hours depending. Check the train schedules beforehand so you can plan it right so you won't be rushing for a train, but you won't be standing around along time waiting for one either. I did this last month - I left Sorrento around 8:30am or so and then in Naples I got an Intercity (IC) train into Rome by noon. (there are other trains, some faster, some slower) I had about 7 hours there. I'd already been to Rome before, this was primarily a shopping expedition for me. I would suggest you go around on foot, visiting the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Piazza di Spagna, Fontana di Trevi, the Coliseum, the Forum, and you can see if you can squeeze in a visit to St. Peters - just to go inside and walk around. I would skip doing the Vatican museums or anything where you have to wait on line. And on the way home, plan your departure so you don't miss the train from Naples to Sorrento. (schedules are at the train station or Il Mattino newspaper) Some may be against rushing through this great city, I'm not for it myself, but I would rather go and enjoy a few hours than not go at all.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:54 AM
jim

We went the opposite direction -- Rome to Sorrento -- for a day last May by renting a car. If you don't plan ahead, that can be expensive, but it depends on how many of you do it (to share the cost). Problems: (1) It's hard to see Rome in a day. I'd suggest picking out one or two spots your really want to see -- such as the Vatican -- then have dinner at the Piazza Navona, and return. (2) I have no idea where you'd park in Rome since, as I said, we went in the other direction.
The highway between Rome and Sorrento is quite good, and the drive into and out of Sorrento is spectacular.
Whatever you decide, I have three suggestions: have a plan, have a plan, and have a plan.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 02:00 PM
rob

Hi sally -

Save Rome for another time, when you have time to enjoy it. It will take at least 3 hours to get there, and 3 hours to get back - IMO too long for a day trip.

There are some really grat options much closer to Sorrento. Ravello is maybe one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Amalfi is great - beautiful, historic, and interesting. Positano is glamorous. Capri is a quick boat ride away. Ischia too. Pompeii, Vesuvius. Even Naples looks vey interesting. The point is, there's plenty of really great things to do in the area without traveling 3 hours each way. Relax.