Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip from Seville to Morocco (Tangier) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-seville-to-morocco-tangier-1013712/)

ymoubarake May 7th, 2014 04:34 PM

Day trip from Seville to Morocco (Tangier)

I am looking to take a day trip from Seville to Tangier Morocco on a guided tour. The only one I've been able to find is offered by Sol Chasers. Does anybody know of any other agencies that offer a guided day trip to Tangier? The only other guided tours I can find start in Malaga or Granada.

Thanks!

MmePerdu May 7th, 2014 05:15 PM

Get ready for all the voices telling you Tangier isn't worth it. As one who goes to Morocco as often as I can, including Tangier, I'll say that Tangier is a very worthwhile place, just not maybe as a day trip. It reduces a 3 dimensional city to a 2 dimensional cutout of itself. So go ahead and do it if 2 dimensional is alright with you. Just realize that it's how you're seeing it that's 2nd rate, not that the city is.

It seems to me that it's a long way to go from Seville. I'd suggest you go to Tarifa and take an early ferry over on your own, spend the day then take the ferry back if you can't manage at least an overnight. I see no reason to buy a tour to a place that's so easy to get to and walk around on your own.

Robert2533 May 7th, 2014 07:09 PM

"Get ready for all the voices telling you Tangier isn't worth it" I think you've said it all, and quite eloquently at that. And I'm glad you've visited. I actually lived in Morocco when I was much younger and have been to Tangier a few times over the years, but still don't believe it reflects the rest of the country.

As noted, Sevilla is a long way from Tangiers, and doesn't make for a day-trip.

MmePerdu May 7th, 2014 07:45 PM

No, Robert, it's not like the rest of the country, given it's history, but that doesn't mean it's boring or bad. I find it a very pleasant place to hang out for a while. But I cannot imagine wanting to see a country, then taking a day trip to one corner and think you have.

I'd love to live in Morocco for a while but I'm never sure where. I hope an opportunity will make itself known one day.

StCirq May 7th, 2014 08:06 PM

It's not a pleasant place to hang out for awhile if you go on a daytrip. And a daytrip from Seville is a total impracticality.

I've spent weeks in Morocco and love the country and would never consider a daytrip to Tangiers from Seville a reasonable use of anyone's time.

bilboburgler May 7th, 2014 11:40 PM

Tangiers isn't my first choice of city in a country with a fair number of great cities. Is Marrakesh not on flights from Seville?

Robert2533 May 8th, 2014 07:39 AM

Ryanair has one flight/day each way between Sevilla and Marrakesh, so you would have to stay at least one day.

bilboburgler May 8th, 2014 07:46 AM

Dirt cheap modern hotels in the international quarter, or you could stump up a bit and stay in the souk at a posh local hotel (all modernised) for more for a night, it would make the trip.

neckervd May 8th, 2014 09:48 AM

A travel agency which offers day trips from Malaga or Sevilla to Tangiers is just not serious (unless the offer is based on taxi flights).