Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trip from Seville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-seville-301531/)

LolaLasagne Mar 27th, 2003 11:04 PM

Day Trip from Seville

Hi. I will be spending a few days in Seville during Semana Santa and would be interested to know of any day trips out from the city. Is it possible to go to Granada or Cordoba in a day or perhaps a trip to the coast? Thanks for any replies

alan64 Mar 28th, 2003 06:29 AM

A day trip to Granada is possible, but that's not the best way to see that city (you can spend hours at the Alhambra, but then you'll have to get back. You can do Jerez and Cadiz. Jerez has the famous riding school if you like horses, and you can do sherry tasting. The old section of Cadiz is nice. Don't be surprised if you find it hard to leave Sevilla though. It's a wonderful city with lots to do there.

LolaLasagne Mar 28th, 2003 06:31 AM

Thanks Alan! Can you tell me the best way to get to Cadiz from Seville? I think a day on the coast would be nice and I've heard Cadiz is well worth seeing.

julies Mar 28th, 2003 08:14 AM

Cordoba is also a quick hour train ride on the AVE, so it is extremely doable. We visited both Cadiz and Cordoba and enjoyed both of them, so I guess it wil boil down to personal preference for you.

Maribel Mar 28th, 2003 09:03 AM

Lola,<BR>You can reach C�diz either by Comes bus or by Andalucia Express regional train. <BR>See the train schedule at www.renfe.es (has an English version)<BR><BR>Check <BR>www.andalucia.com/travel/bus/seville.htm<BR> for the Comes bus departures to C�diz from Sevilla and <BR>http://www.diariodecadiz.com/transpo..._autobuses.htm <BR>for the return Comes bus departures from C�diz<BR><BR>You can also see the AVE schedule for Seville-Cordoba (only a 40 min. ride) at<BR>www.renfe.es<BR><BR>Like alan64, I think you might not want to venture far from Seville with just a few days to dedicate to the city, particularly during the incredible excitment of Semana Santa. I personally find 3 days the minimum at any time to get to know in depth and really enjoy this lovely city. But C�rdoba is an easy half day trip. I wouldn't attempt Granada or Marbella on a day trip, especially at that time. It takes us at least 2 1/2 hrs. from Seville to the Marbella coast area, and Granada would be an extremely tiring day, plus it too will be packed to the rafters during Holy Week. We'll be in Sevilla for 4 days during Semana Santa, Maundy Thurs.-Easter Monday, and because of the huge crowds and difficulty moving in and out of the city (blocked off streets, heavy traffic, the general maze of downtown Sevilla...), we only plan 1 short day trip from there during our short visit. <BR>We plan to visit Jerez to see the Royal Equestrian School horse ballet and to revisit the Gonz�lez Byass sherry bodega before arriving in Seville, and we plan to make a stop in C�rdoba via the AVE on the way back to Madrid after Semana Santa.<BR>I think you'll want to spend as much time as possbile during this perhaps once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the world famous pageantry of Holy Week in Seville. It's a wonderfully unique and amazing (but exhausting) experience.

Maribel Mar 28th, 2003 09:07 AM

Sorry about the multiple ?. They were supposed to be accents, but they seem not to be working today.

alan64 Mar 28th, 2003 11:45 AM

The train from Sevilla to Cadiz is easy, and Jerez is a stop along the way. If you time it for a day where the Equestrian School has a show, you can tour a sherry bodega, see the horse show, then get back on the train to Cadiz for the afternoon/early evening and then return to Sevilla. It would be a long day but a fun one. The AVE to Cordoba is another easy trip but I didn't do it (I was having too much fun in Sevilla).

LolaLasagne Mar 28th, 2003 12:43 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I do take the point about perhaps not wanting to leave Seville during the Semana Santa but we would like to see a little more of Andalucia if we have the time. Leaving on the 16th of April and looking forward to it very much.

Maribel Mar 28th, 2003 05:58 PM

Lola,<BR>During the month of April the Royal School of Equestrian Art has a noon performance every Thurs. (but only on Thurs. during April). <BR>We purchased our tickets for Maudy Thursday a full 2 months in advance, in Feb., and when we called, there were only seats left in the &quot;preferencia&quot; section at 22 euros a ticket. You can email them or call <BR>(www.realescuela.org) but if you're interested, please do this ASAP! After the show, which lasts about 1 1/2 hrs. with intermission, you can walk across the street to the Sandeman sherry bodega for a tour. No need to book this in advance.<BR>See www.sandeman.com/ing/brandy.html

LolaLasagne Mar 30th, 2003 07:12 AM

Gracias;)