day trip from selcuk: pamukkale or PMD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be in selcuk for 3 days during our turkey trip in september. during one of the days, we are thinking of taking a day trip. would you recommend a day trip to PMD or pamukkale (not even sure if it's possible)? thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:37 AM

What is PMD, a Turkish woman's condition?
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

ha! PMD = Priene, Miletus, Didyma. In the guide book I am reading, I have the option to do a tour of all three in one day.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Ahh, it took me a while to figure out what you meant by PMD, but that's what my husband and I did on our day trip from Selcuk when we visited 10 years ago. I think Priene, Miletus and Didyma make a great day trip from Selcuk. Pamukkale is too long.

Here's what I wrote back then:

"We made the tour of the 3 sites in the region that are usually grouped together: Didyma, Miletus and Priene. Though it was the furthest, Didyma was worth the ride. A magnificent site, a grand temple to Apollo, with impressive columns, some still standing. And few tourists for company.
Next stop was Miletus, and we both found it unappealing. The ruins are very spread out, and many of them are not in good shape. It was interesting to see the scope of the town, but not so easy to walk around because of its size.
The last stop, Priene. We drove through a lovely plain, past the Menderes River (or, the Meander -- and now you’ll understand the meaning of that word!) And then up, into the hills; the siting is spectacular, with the steep and rocky Mt. Mykale behind the town, and the plains spread out in front of it, this Hellenistic town is built into the side of the hill as well. Some of the ruins were not accessible, but those that were gave a good sense of place. The Temple of Athena, between the mountain and the plains, a remarkable sight. And the theater, too, very charming and intimate.

After the crowds at Ephesus, these sites were surprisingly quiet which made it all-the-more pleasurable to visit."
------------

Hope this helps your decision-making.
Paule
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:44 AM

Aduchamp,
LOL!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
>After the crowds at Ephesus

If you plan to self-tour Ephesus, plan to be walking through the turnstile no later then 9 AM . . .

Ian
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Ian, I agree - earlier is better, but no matter when you go, there will still be a lot of tourists.

My comparison was simply to point out that the other sites - "PMD", according to alifafa - were surprisingly empty when we visited 10 years ago. There were no more than a handful of people at both Didyma and Priene and there's something intimate and remarkable about having an ancient site almost exclusively to your self.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Last October we visted Pamukkale, Selcuk and Ephesus among other places. Ephesus was swarming with tourists, of course we are not tourists, and it was rainy. And Pamukkale is too far away for a day trip.

Here are some photos that include Ephesus and Pamukkale.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Aducham...CM2u9MTp0p3BGg

https://picasaweb.google.com/Aduchamp1/WATurkey

(The photos of the fireworks are taken form the apartment balcony of the legendary Fodor's poster and poser Otherchelebi.)
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Aduchamp, the word is "Poseur". I cannot see why people like Stu ask you to edit their books. And I prefer the word "mythical" instead of "legendary". sort of gives a sense of mystery and visions of satyres and Pan.

Alifafa, you can combine PMD with Dogubey and Karina, if you are also interested in nature and unspoilt areas, and possibly even Herakleia. However, this may require a rental car or a private tour.

i would prefer this combination to pamukkale-hieropolis. Adding Aphrodisias to pamukkale would possibly make it undoable on a single day.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM

As you know I am American not French, so employing the spelling poseur would only be used by a provocater, I mean a provocateur.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM

We were at Ephesus a couple weeks ago at 8am and we didn't see anyone else for about 20 minutes, except the old man who wanted us to hire him as guide. It almost seemed planned since the headset office was closed, but we waited and it opened 15 minutes later. We started from the bottom parking lot and went straight to the library to have it all to ourselves. Tour buses started pouring in around 9am.

We also saw PDM and tried to see Herakleia afterwards. BTW, there were plenty of tourist at all 3 of these sites. After we paid to enter the "park" at Herakleia, it started raining really hard and the gravel streets were flooded, so we turned around. Not much to do on Lake Bafa in the rain. For some reason it wasn't raining as hard on the other side of the lake where we enjoyed the view and used wifi over tea at Club Natura Oliv. This is also where we spent the night.

Renting a car makes travel in Turkey much easier and gives you advantages over group tours or even buses.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM

We also went to Pamukkale and arrived at 6:15AM to beat the tour groups. It is open 24 hours which helps those with a tight schedules and sunset is supposed to be the best time to visit. The white travertine falls were interesting enough, but we really enjoyed the ruins of Hierapolis above it. Also Aphrodisias was one of our favorite sites of the entire trip, although we met up with a hail storm here.

I think you could do either from Selcuk as a day trip. You will spend more time in transport to Pamukkale and back losing your whole day. PDM are all within an hour of Selcuk and close to one another, so you can easily plan more for that day.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM

hi everyone, thanks so much for your advice & insight! i look forward to our turkey trip. it's our 1st time. woo-hoo!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM

ali_fafa,

I didn't see a trip report from you - but wondered how this portion of your trip went?

I was contemplating a day trip to Pammukkale as well - but after reading the forums I am thinking of skipping it and enjoying more time in Ephesus, Selcuk and the area instead.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM

I did both on a trip to Selcuk. I was there for 5 nights and didn't run out of things to see or do. I would agree with previous posters that with only 1 side trip possible, PMD would be the best. I was there in September (early) too. PMD were virtually empty. One site, I can't remember which, I had all to myself. Another had only a small Asian group & myself. What a difference compared to Ephesus which was swarming with tourists by the time I left. I too started as soon as it opened & started at the base of the site which is closest to the Library. I made a bee line for the Library and have gorgeous photos without a tourist in view. I will say that I loved Pammukkale late in the day after the majority of the people had left. I've now traveled to 32 countries and one of my most favorite experiences was swimming among the Roman ruins in the hot mineral spring water of the pool just beyond the topmost travertines. I love a good ruin & have seen many from Peru to Tunisia. It was just too cool to swim among the ruins at Pammukkale. It's a shame you don't have one more day to spend in the area. Have a wonderful trip. I found the Turkish people to be extraordinarily kind & helpful.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Oh you are killing me Dee_Dee!

I really want to swim at the sacred pool at Pammukkale and I think my BF would get a huge kick out of it - but everyone seems to think it would not be a great day trip...

Although - we could spend the night there and try to be back at Izmir for a 10:10 flight (we would have to return the car as well).
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM

not_enuf_vaca - ever so sorry to hasten your demise! LOL. If there's any way you could get to Pammukkale, I would do it. The swim was a once in a lifetime kind of experience for me. From Selcuk, it can be a day trip, albeit a long one. I did it. The roads are very good, there's not much traffic & I found the countryside just lovely. I would not recommend spending the night & getting to Izmir airport in time to return a car & catch a 10AM flight. Just drive back in the evening. I wouldn't hesitate doing the drive in the dark - the roads are that good. Just make sure you're in Pammukkale either before the onslaught of tourists or after they leave mid to late afternoon.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM

We too truly enjoyed our day at Pamukkale. Beloe are just a few pcitures of Turkey including one of the travertines.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1135238...CM2u9MTp0p3BGg
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM

What time did you get there? How long did you need for the swim and to see the pools etc?
I had contemplated seeing Ephesus direct after we land from the airport (should give us about 3.5 hours at Ephesus) and then we could get up early and hit Pammukkale in the morning..2.5 hours didn't seem that far for me to drive if it was worth it - but I am now doubting myself after reading what others have said.
I suppose we can just wait and decide when we get there
As we don't land until 2:00 I am not sure we could make it to Pammukkale the first night?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM

not_enuf_vaca - I just read your other thread on your upcoming Greece & Turkey trip. I now have more insight into where you're going & what you are seeing. Based upon that info, I'm going out on a limb & making a recommendation. The day you arrive in Izmir, go to Ephesus, stay in Selcuk. The next morning, get up early & go to Pamukkale/Hieropolis. You could even stop to see Aphrodisias on your way back. Plan on 3-4 hours at Pamukkale. This day trip would give you good Roman ruins, lovely countryside plus the unique experience of Pamukkale. One other note, I spent 2 nights in Athens & would have been perfectly happy with just one full day there. It was the least favorite of my Greek experiences but I am more of a country than city girl. By cutting out a day there, you could add it elsewhere. Just my very humble opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -