Day Trip From London to Cotswolds Area

Old Apr 19th, 1998, 07:26 AM
Gruse

Day Trip From London to Cotswolds Area

Taking our 13 yr-old to London this summer and wanted to include a day trip to countryside to get a different view other than the city. Excursion to Cotswolds via bus, private taxi tour? What town would be the most representative of area since only a day trip? Could go to Stratford- on Avon but she hasn't studied Shakespeare yet though there would be less commercial areas to visit?

Old Apr 21st, 1998, 03:58 PM
Lanny

There are scads of full day tours from London to the Cotswolds taking in a variety of scenic villages such as Stow on the Wold, Chipping Campden etc. These are relatively inexpensive and far better than hiring a private taxi because the itinerary is so well planned. I recommend you take a Cotswolds tour that does not include Stratford on Avon, relatively uninteresting for a young person not into Shakespeare. Instead, do either a visit to a number of the towns, including those I have mentioned, or do a day tour that covers the utter splendour of Blenheim Palace, Oxford and Bladon (where Winston Churchill is buried with his American mother Jennie and wife Clementine), or, alternatively, take a tour which visits Warwick Castle, just north of Stratford on Avon. Warwick Castle is owned by Madame Tusauds and is beautifully presented with manequins by Tusauds etc. in the spendid rooms of the castle to give an aura of other times, the gardens are fantastic, and for a kid, the dungeons and moats are a treat. This tour may actually include part of the day at Stratford on Avon and part of the day at Warwick. For all these tours ask the concierge of your hotel for brochures. There are lots of companies to choose from and it only becomes a matter of what most interests you as a family group. If you need more info on the Cotswolds (I visit them every time I visit England, which is yearly), just e-mail me. Good luck. Lanny

Old Apr 29th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Mary

I agree totally with the above post. Your 13 year old would probably enjoy Warwick Castle. I took a group of high school students to England for a week. They ranked Warwick as one of their favorite places. Blenheim Palace is one of my favorite places. It is closed to the public during part of the year, and I have missed it the past two times. Since you will be there when it is open, you might want to take advantage of that. It is beautiful and the gardens should be pretty in the summer.

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 06:44 AM
Carole Rupnik-Brown

My husband and I are visiting England and Scotland for 3 weeks this summer. We are planning to spend a couple of nights in the Cotswolds. Can you recommend a nice b&b that is not too expensive? Any town would be ok since we will have a car. Thanks very much.

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 01:46 PM
kate

We are visiting London for a week in july with two
young daughters (10 and 7) and wanted to spend two days one night in the Cotswolds so all above has
been useful - thanks. Am also interested in the B&B
question as above. We are hoping to do some walking
- any ideas for nice areas to walk or other things to do with the girls for such a short time. Certainly Warwick Castle sounds a must see. We will have a car too
thanks again
kate

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 12:05 PM
Marcia

I second the message on Warwick Castle - fabulous place for kids of all ages. I understand they have added some "living history" with actors in character which should be wonderful. It is good for at least half a day. Prepare for crowds.

Another place are the Roman Baths in Bath. In 1993 it was swarming with families with even very young children. I had not been there in almost 30 years and was blown away by the extent of the new excavations and the quality of the museum and the access. It was great. It was crowded enough that you really could only go "one way" and follow the crowd. But you could easily step out of the flow and linger in various places. I have to say, heretically probably, that the rest of Bath doesn't do much for me. We're going back this summer with our 17 year old and stopping just to see the Roman stuff - and I'm excited again. I also thing young people are excited by ancient stuff - like Stonehenge, as crowded and as much of a "set piece" as it is. I hesitate to spread the word, but we are thinking of doing a kind of slow "drive by" of Stonehenge and actually spending time at Avebury, which is equally ancient and far more accessible.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 01:10 PM
dory

I recently found a really good holiday accommodation website at www.smoothhound.co.uk which gives very comprehensive information on all types of guesthouses in the UK. You simply put in the price you want to pay and the location and it shows you whats available. We recently stayed in Bath for a couple of nights at a very special bed and breakfast which although costs 80 per night for a double room (quite expensive by English b&b standards) it was worth every penny. No comfort spared, gorgeous room, huge bed, lovely bathroom and great breakfast including scrambled egg with smoked salmon and porridge with whisky. The owners are very friendly and most helpful. They are not listed on the smoothhound site but are called haydonhouse and could be found on the net under other accom. guides. Well worth thinking about if you are in Bath. I personally wouldn't even look anywhere else if I had to go back there. I agree that the roman baths were excellent and have also been to Warwick Castle some years ago and still have grim thoughts about those dungeons and what happened there...Have a great holiday.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 07:07 PM
greg

I second the choice of chipping-campden as aplace to visit as it was one of the most utterly old englishe villages i came across although it is very expensive to stay there. warwick castle would be great for kids and if you like that stuf but it is expensive (about 9 or 10 pounds per adult).

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 07:14 PM
greg

I stayed in Cheltenham in May and found 3 nice places to stay. One is a small hotel called Clarence house which is close to downtown. I had a hugh room which the Duke of Wellington supposedly stayed in for about 64 pounds, it could have slept about 5-6 people. 2 other B and B`s are Brent House and Hallory House whic I found on the internet and saw when iwas there and they look nice. The local tourist information office can help you with these or lots of others.