Day trip from London - "Bath and Windsor Castle" or York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are going to London couple of days and we wanted to do a day trip... there are tours that go to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath in one day ... but we dont want to go to Stonehenge...so it is possible to do Windsor Castle and Bath by our self taking the train...

Another option we are thinking of is York, i read that its a beautiful town....

Any suggestion how we can to Windsor Castle and Bath by ourselves or we should just do York

thanks
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Haven't been to UK in quite a while, but I wouldn't think York is really do-able as a day trip from London, as it's +200 miles. Even by train, that's most of the time travelling. On the other hand, Windsor is less than an hour; Bath is about 100 mi. Doing both in one day could be possible, but tiring. I did find this on another site:
http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/h...fm?topic=12084
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Agree that York is too far to do in a day. I would opt for either Windsor or Bath, but I think both in the same day would be pushing it as you would only scratch the surface of what there is to see, especially in Bath. Both can be reached by train from London.

Regards
Vicky
http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.co.uk/
Celebrating the Great British Coastline
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'd do Bath, or Windsor castle - I certainly wouldn't try both in a day
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM

York is only a half hour longer by train than Bath, two hours versus 90 minutes. Don't rule it out based on distance! They are very different places, take a look at what each has to offer.

I would want a full day in Bath so would not want to do both Bath and Windsor in one day, but if you get your skates it's of course " doable" by train or car.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Assuming OP is arriving at Heathrow

Bath is easily reached from Heathrow by coach. You could arrive at Heathrow, travel to Bath, stay overnight then take the train to London.

Windsor is 20 minutes from Heathrow by taxi - so it makes a good last night stop.

York is 2h30m from London by train and is easily reachable from central London - just ensure you know how you are going to get to Kings Cross for an early train as the Tube may not be running early in the morning.

So assuming around a week for your stay

Day 1 - arrive Heathrow, travel to Bath
Day 2 - Bath am, travel pm to London
Day 3 - London
Day 4 - Day trip to York
Day 5 - London
Day 6 - London am, Windsor pm
Day 7 - taxi to Heathrow

You could consider going directly from Bath to York by train - take a route that takes you via Bristol in order to avoid London. The travel time is about the same as the total travel time of Bath to London and London to York. That would mean your trip would become a loop with no backtracking.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Sorry to tag on the OP, but I have a similar question. I have researched options from LHR to Bath. I looked at both the coach and Heatrow Express to Paddington Station, and First Great Western train to Bath. I checked the National Express web site and the trip is 4+ hours. By taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and FGW to Bath Spa the total travel time is apx 2 hours. We arrive LHR on a Sunday,that may be why the National Express options are limited. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 12:39 AM

Try National Express to Reading, around 45 min direct to Reading rail station, then train to Bath.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 01:29 AM

National Express has various options for "Heathrow", but it is probably better to use the timings for Terminals 1 & 3, since they offer a non-stop service to Bath. You can travel free of charge between the different Heathrow terminals, which are some distance apart.

The indirect services from Heathrow to Bath all go via Bristol, and include a long wait there for a connection. The direct services usually take under two and a half hours. The single fare is about £20.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Cathinjoetown and chartley,

Great suggestions and thanks. I will check these out. I find I need a solid plan to overcome my "thickheadedness" from jet lag.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM

<i>I checked the National Express web site and the trip is 4+ hours</i>

I take it you are arriving at T4 or T5. If you use the T1 / T3 option you'll find direct coaches that take half that time. Travel between terminals is easy

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ween-terminals

Unfortunately I can't tell you the routings for Heathtrow to Bath as the NX website has been goosed all evening
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I'm always surprised when I see York dismissed as 'too far' for a day - and then somewhere else just as far is suggested as an alternative.
Kings Cross to York is actually less than 2 hours if you pick a fast service. We live near York and my husband commutes easily to central London every so often for business meetings - as do numerous other people.
Once you are off the train at York you can be into the city centre within minutes and by foot - it is compact and very walkable. There's so much to see and do, although some people think the Minster alone is worth the trip. And yes, it is an extremely beautiful city.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM

alanRow,

You are correct. Arrival from the US at T5. I checked the options outlined above and checked the Heathrow web. I get bus 441 from T5 to the CBS and in 2H 45M and L20 later I am in Bath. A good economical easily executed (with a jetlagged brain) solution.

As alway The Fodor Nation has the answer
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM

The biggest difficulty of York as a day trip is getting a decent price. It seems that the really cheap tickets (around £10 each way) are increasingly hard to get. There's a larger rump of middle rate tickets so, for example, you book now for travel on Monday and pay £60 in total

But the first train to York leaves at 06:15 reaching there at 08:30, last train back is 22:19 arriving London 00:57. That's over 14 hours in York. About the only thing you couldn't do that someone staying in York can do is see a show (though if you leave about 21:50 you'll be able to catch the last train.