Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day-trip from Krakow to Slovakia. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-krakow-to-slovakia-880472/)

newyorkais35 Mar 4th, 2011 12:08 PM

Day-trip from Krakow to Slovakia.

Hello!!! :-)

I am interested in taking a day-trip from Krakow to somewhere in Slovakia near the border. I've come across a town named Poprad on the Internet. It seems as though public transportation isn't the most convenient in the area. I'm not interested in renting a car. Any ideas for a one-day tour?

Thanks very much.

Ross :-)

tomboy Mar 4th, 2011 12:29 PM

Why Poprad? It's a long way for a day trip from Krakow. Wouldn't Zakopane be a lot closer, unless you have special reasons?

newyorkais35 Mar 4th, 2011 12:31 PM

I am considering Zakopane as well. I just thought since I would be in the general vicinity I would go to someplace in Slovakia. I will have four days in Krakow.

Ross

adrienne Mar 4th, 2011 01:31 PM

With only 4 days in Krakow I would not do more than one day trip, if that. Krakow has so much to offer and it's such a charming town that it's a shame to leave it.

Why do you want to go to Slovakia, especially as you have no particular destination in mind?

newyorkais35 Mar 4th, 2011 02:31 PM

I enjoy visiting different countries. Seeing that I would be in the general area, I've given some thought to going to Slovakia, if even only for one day.

Ross

adrienne Mar 4th, 2011 06:49 PM

I'm sure you know that the first morning train from Krakow to Poprad takes about 8.5 hours.

Ostrava is in the Czech Republic and you can get there from Krakow in 5 hours or less.

If you really want to spend a day just to go to another country I suggest flying to Budapest or Prague for the day.

But I think this is a crazy idea since you really can't see much of a country in 1 day.

tomboy Mar 4th, 2011 07:10 PM

Are you just trying to get as many countries on your passport as possible? How much of a nation's culture can you appreciate from the inside of a train station?

newyorkais35 Mar 7th, 2011 02:30 AM

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Please bear in mind that I'm a very experienced traveller that has been to approximately 45 countries over the past 30 years. It's not just to get a stamp in my passport. Agreed, you can't see very much of a country or it's culture in a day, but if that's all one can do for the moment or if it's what he/she chooses to do, then that should be left to the person asking the question.

Ross

tomboy Mar 7th, 2011 05:52 AM

Well, NY, I'll try to help.
Much of Slovakia looks much like Pennsylvania, except for the Tatras, which poke up out of the plain in a way similar to the Tetons. In that respect, while the Tatras are striking in their own way, they're only a small part of the country. But then, the rest of the country is somewhat unremarkable. Land is land, and looks much the same everywhere.

It's not an affluent country, having no silver mines as did the Czechs, no ores of note. In the last 10 years, some auto makers have taken advantage of the low wage base and constructed plants there. It struck me that SR didn't spring up economically the way CR did after 1990, and haven't done as much touristically. I suppose they needed some tourists to do that: chicken/egg.
The wooden churches in the east of SR were mildly interesting, but not a destination on the scale of Chartres, for example. Perhaps that encapsulates my vision of SR. A few mildly interesting things. The culture seems to be one of survival, as opposed to joie de vivre (sp?) of Provence.

zofyra Dec 23rd, 2013 02:07 PM

Dear Tomboy,
Slovakia is one of the richiest countries for natural resources. In the past, we had gold and silver mines, we also have or had resources fo other metals and minerals, Slovakia is much richer in nature than Poland, Czech Republic or Hungury... We have several different types of faunas, mountains and valleys with fertile grounds... 1000 - 2000 springs - loto of mineral springs and some of them termal - also antient Romans used to come to psas in Slovak lands... We dont have so much of history preserved as czech Republic and never been suvereign kingdom as CR or Hungary. Still have lot of castles, folkhouses and old town houses or old houses of noble people preserved... in vry different styles and from different periodes.... some of them at least from 11th century. Our languege is preserved for houndreds of years during we were part of Hungury without influence of hungarian language to ur language. Our cuisine is influenced by Hungury, Germany, Poland, Russia... we have very rich variaty of cooked meal and pastry which you can traditionally taste in the families not too much in restaurants (serves pizza, sushi... :-D ). Travelling in Slovakia is very uconvinient and there is lot of poverty, injustice and corruption going on. Education and healthcare are free but very poor qualitiy, work conditions bed, hight rate of unemployment, unstable politic situation, strong lobby parties, weak corrupted politicians.... people are very easy to control and adaptable... and there was a lot to adapt to in the history. Most of them are simple and hardworking, skilled in self-providing (farming, DIY...). Our well-known folkloor is gossips, hating neighbours and showing up in front of them, home cooking, great home baking, male/female roles, christian society, strong conformity, very formal relationships at workplace, citizens breaking minor rules, bad driving hsbbits, violent and not functioning police, slow and unfair courts (corrupted), useless byrocracy... LOT of "fun" past century....

zofyra Dec 23rd, 2013 02:11 PM

Basically any European coutry is rich on culture, nature, history.... I think that boy "Tomboy" lives on moon... Or he needs better glasses to see the world as rich as it is :-)

eliztravels2 Dec 30th, 2013 01:58 PM

Newyorkais, I agree with you it is fun to visit another country just for the heck of it. When I was in Slovakia a couple of years ago with a small group tour, we saw a small outdoor festival across the river in Poland. Our guide happily took us across on or rented bikes, bought us a pastry and told us a little about the country. It pleases me to think about that small excursion and to know I have been to Poland, if only for an hour.

While in Slovakia we were quite near Poprad and went there on our own for a day. It was a lovely place to visit but sounds as though it is too distant for your current trip.

eliztravels2 Dec 30th, 2013 01:59 PM

Just noticed this is an old, old, post. Not that much on the forum about Slovakia, I guess.