Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trip from Florence to Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-florence-to-venice-79075/)

Jim Jul 11th, 2000 11:19 AM

Day Trip from Florence to Venice?

Is it possible to see Venice in a day trip from Florence?

Paulo Jul 11th, 2000 12:35 PM

The first time I went to Italy with my wife, we were based in the Dolomites near the Austrian border. We planned to spend 4 nights in Florence, going back and forth by train. <BR> <BR>At lunchtime, during our 3rd day in Florence, my wife all of a sudden came up with: "I want to visit Venice!". I told her that this was crazy, that we would spend all day long in trains, etc. etc. to no avail. "I want to visit Venice". Well, so be it. We changed hotels in Florence to the one closest to the Sta. Maria Novella station. Next day we got a train at 6am, changed in Bologna and hit Venice. After locking our stuff, we were readdy to take off at 10am. <BR> <BR>At that time I already knew Venice very well, so I didn't exactly do what 9 out of 10 daytrippers to Venice do: to take #1 vaporetto from the Ferrovia to San Marco ... Instead, we started our stroll right at the train station. We crossed the bridge over the Grand Canal, strolled through the Sestiere of San Polo, to Campo S. Giacomo dell'Orio and on to Campo San Polo, visiting both churches on the way. From there, a stroll into Dorsoduro, to Campo dei Frari (church visit) and Scuola San Rocco (visit). Then on to Campo San Pantalon, Campo Santa Margherita (snack lunch), Campo San Barnaba to the Accademia (no visit), accross the bridge and into the sestiere of San Marco. When we got to see the Piazza and Basilica it was almost 3pm!!! We got to visit the Basilica, rested somewhat at Cafe Florian and went for some shopping. In the evening, we took vaporetto #1 back to the train station, where we got a 10pm train back to the Dolomites arriving after 2am (we slept like babies and almost missed our stop). In your case, you could take the 8:07pm train back to Florence, with a change in Bologna, arriving at 11:59pm. <BR> <BR>At the end of our adventure I was very much surprised on how well everything turned out and my wife pulls my leg from time to time, remembering that her impulse and stubborness were much more on the mark than my vast experience (with Venice). Of course, we've returned since many times :-) <BR> <BR>If you don't mind waking up early and travelling some 8 hours for a 10-hour hello to Venice, go ahead and do it! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Marty Jul 11th, 2000 04:50 PM

This may help some with your decision. We traveled by Eurostar from Venice to Florence and the return in June. We did not have to change trains at all, and the trip each way was 2hours and 50 minutes. I would definitely try it, if you can an early and late train.

Christine Jul 11th, 2000 06:08 PM

Marty is right -- it is definitely do-able. Venice is lovely! Just wander around, eat gelato and pizza and get lost. I liked it better than Florence. I loved San Marco -- remember to wear a long skirt or pants and have your sholders covered. They turned people away who didn't. If you are pressed for time, I'd skip the Doge's palace or do a quick tour -- the audio tour got a little long for me. I'd rather just walk around the cute narrow "streets"!

monique Jul 12th, 2000 07:37 AM

My daughter and I were in Venice and Florence in June. We had one day and night in Venice, and fell in love with this place! If you can stay a night, it would be well worth it! You can stroll the walk-ways and get lost in the sounds of the water embracing the foundation of Venice. The next trip we will spend more time. <BR>We than took the train to florence and spent more time. Next time I would skip Florence and spend more time in Venice and the country side. We spent several nights in Siena and Cortona and got into the Zone!!! <BR>