Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip from Florence to Naples/Amalfi Coast via Train. HOW DO I DO IT?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This upcoming September, while on our Honeymoon, we have an extra day in Florence. We want to do something out of the ordinary, since we're doing the Venice, Florence, Rome trip. We're thinking something exciting would be to see the Amalfi Coast and eat pizza in Naples!! Unfotunately, we read its easier for a day trip from Rome to Naples/Amalfi Coast but we dont have an extra day in Rome. Alot to do there. This is our dilemma!

We understand its sort of a long train ride there. I heard about 3 hours. IS THIS ACCURATE?

We are committed to doing this!! In fact, we want to wake up early and catch a train from City Center in Florence (not sure what train station is best) with a 7:30/8 am departure. If in fact its a 3 hour train ride, leaving at 8 am we'd get there at 11 am.

WHATS THE BEST ROUTE? HOW MUCH CAN I EXPECT A TRAIN RIDE TO COST?

Thanks!!!! All your help would be greatly appreciated.
R&M
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not close enough for a day trip. Just the train from Florence to Naples would take about 3 hours. You would then have to take a train to Sorrento (about 75 minutes) and a bus to Positano (about an hour from Sorrento) or Amalfi which is even further.

It you are insistent, I would look for a train to Salerno (hopefully a fast AV train that doesn't require a chance in Naples). In Salerno, catch the Sita bus to Amalfi. You could visit Amalfi (you have to change buses there) briefly before taking the bus on to Sorrento (passes by Positano on the way). If you don't visit Amalfi, you could make a brief stop in Positano before heading on to Sorrento and then Naples. Check the later trains that would get you all thje way back for Florence.

It's really better to day trip from Rome and it's still a long, hectic day trip.

Another option would be fast AV train to Naples (look for trains that don't require changes in Rome), catch a ferry to Amalfi (if still running in Sept.), Sita bus back to Sorrento or on to Salerno.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM

You can get to Naples in @ 3 hours; fares vary but average € 40 each way, per person. The Amalfi Coast is farther, and would be too complicated to manage in a day's trip. Look at a map. Frankly, I think spending 6 hours on a train and @ €160 for a day trip to Naples to eat pizza is silly. So many, many other things you could do with a daytrip from Florence.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Rome is 90 minutes closer to Naples than Florence is. Even from Rome, a day trip all the way to the Amalfi Coast would be a questionable choice. Naples is an easy day trip from Rome, but to reach the Amalfi Coast you'd have to add a 1.5-2 more hours of travel beyond Naples.

To reach the Amalfi Coast from Florence, it will take more like 4-5 hours in each direction with multiple connections between different trains and/or buses. Just to reach Naples will take 3 hours by train from Florence. then you have to travel beyond by commuter train (1 Hour) and then bus along the coast.

Another option would be to travel from Florence to Salerno by train (3.75 hours), and then take a train or bus along the Amalfi Coast. doesn't save any time, but avoid a connection or two

Your plan seems like a really bad idea to me, full of too many variables along the way that could make for very unpleasant day. I wouldn't even attempt this day trip from Rome.

For a similar seaside experience, you might do a day trip to Cinque Terre from, which is much closer to Florence. You can travel by train from Florence to La Spezia in about 2.5 hours and then connect to the local CT train to the villages.

Train schedules and prices here:

http://www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index...0080a3e90aRCRD
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:43 PM

you might do a day trip to Cinque Terre from FLORENCE . . .
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM
ira

Good advice from ellenem.

Have you considered Bologna?

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 01:02 AM

Firenze dp 8.04 - Salerno ar 12.30/13.15 - Amalfi ar 14.30
or
Firemze dp 8.04 - Napoli 10.55/11.41 - Sorrento 12.47/13.00 - Amalfi ar 14.40

Amalfi dp 15.00 - Salerno 16.15/17.12 - Firenze ar 20.51

Not enough time to eat a pizza at Amalfi!
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Honestly, having a piece of pizza in Naples is not any more exciting than having it any place else, and certainly not worth hours of travel RT to do it.

You said you are committed to doing this, but it takes more time than you thought. It really is not reasonable, almost not doable.

Can you take one day from Florence, add it to Rome and do this trip from Rome? Still busy (and much as I love the AC, I wouldn't do it), but at least doable.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM

If you take your extra day from Florence and add it to Rome, you can get picked up at your hotel, ride in an air-conditioned van, lunch in Positano, and get a guided tour (hitting a few highlights) of Pompeii. No logistics to worry about. There are many tour operators that offer this. I haven't done it myself but I'm considering it. I think it would make for a more interesting experience than eating pizza in Naples.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Do you plan to see Pisa? Siena? I cannot imagine taking a day trip to the Amalfi coast from Florence.