Notices

Day trip from Dublin

Nov 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Day trip from Dublin

My husband and I will be in Dublin for 5 days in a couple of weeks. We would like to take at least one day trip from Dublin to see the countryside. We plan to rent a car and maybe drive to southwest Ireland?? We will be based in Dublin and not staying outside of the city any night of our trip.

We would like to see small towns, the coast, ruins, rock formations, or anything else you would suggest. I am aware, unfortunately, the days will be short in November. Also from my understanding, travel in Ireland is pretty slow in the country. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
Nov 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM

A drive to SW Ireland is NOT a day trip - however, SE Ireland is a delightful one. One of my favorite places is Glendalough Abbey, which is a wonderful daytrip. Find out opening hours for the winter months, and see if Powerscourt falls and/or gardens are open for a fuller day.

Alternatively, north you can do a lovely day to Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Slane Abbey, Knowth/Dowth tombs, perhaps some inside time at Malahide Castle or Trim Castle.

Search this Thread