Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trip from Brussels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-brussels-1003518/)

Hoai Jan 21st, 2014 08:48 AM

Day Trip from Brussels

My family will be spending 3 days in Brussels before heading to Paris. We would like to get suggestions for day trips. Is it worthwhile to try to visit either Amsterdam or London?

PalenQ Jan 21st, 2014 08:55 AM

Though either Amsterdam or London are just a few hours by train from Brussels they are so big it is hard to get a fix on them in a half-day or so - I would suggest a day trip to nearby Bruges, to many the absolute highlight of Belgium and to me just about the most romantic old world looking city north of the Alps:

The city of your dreams - I would consider basing in Bruges and day tripping to Brussels, a town that leaves many non-plussed at least in not fulfilling their idea of a romantic old world Europe - Brussels is in many ways a fascinating city but not the comeliest overall by far.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brug...=1600&bih=1075

Odin Jan 21st, 2014 08:55 AM

Lille is good for a day trip, or Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, even Amsterdam. I'd leave London for another time.

sparkchaser Jan 21st, 2014 08:56 AM

Liege

dwdvagamundo Jan 21st, 2014 08:59 AM

PalenQ is right. Better to base in Bruges. That way, you'll be there at nite and in the early morning before the crowds arrive.

nytraveler Jan 21st, 2014 11:30 AM

London is so huge it just deserves more time.

IMHO Bruges makes the most sense for a day trip - although I would do it the other way - spend 3 days in charming quaint Bruges and make one day trip to government city Brussels and another to Ghent.

lavandula Jan 21st, 2014 01:09 PM

Pretty much anywhere in Belgium is easy to access by train; first towns (in order of interest) I would suggest are:
*Bruges, Ghent (medieval towns) and Ieper (WWI history) (to the west) ,
*then Antwerp (quirky big city) and Leuven (medieval /university town).
*Mechelen and Lier are smaller but offer possibilities in combination with Leuven or Antwerp.
*Liège and Dinant are in the opposite direction, to the east, but are still interesting; Dinant is especially picturesque. Even Cologne (cathedral), Luxembourg (pretty town in a valley, casemates) and Aachen (seat of German coronations for 600 years) (further afield) are close and you could do them in a day.

If you had a car it would be neat to combine some of the cities to the east, as they are smaller. Bruges, Ghent, Ieper (and Antwerp) merit more time.

I would not try for London as it deserves time for itself, likewise Paris, and I think you would probably want to stay overnight in Amsterdam too.

Lavandula

Andrew Jan 21st, 2014 01:59 PM

Leuven is really nice, too, and a quick train ride from Brussels. Ghent and Bruges are also fantastic, perhaps a little further from Brussels but not much. (For what it's worth, Leuven has direct train connections to the Brussels airport.)

PalenQ Jan 21st, 2014 02:30 PM

Antwerp to me is one of the most unique cities in Europe - an atmosphere all its own - great for Flemish art lovers and those into Art Nouveau - some of the most amazing Art Nouveau in Europe - one street built around 1900 on the edge of town is complete Art Nouveau -- Cogels Osylei:

https://www.google.com/search?q=coge...=1600&bih=1075

danlev Jan 21st, 2014 03:21 PM

Bruges is a must-see. Ghent is nice too, and a vibrant university town.

I second PalenQ's recommendation of Cogels Osylei in Antwerp. Brussels also has some great Art Nouveau, esp. the Horta Museum.

If you can make it to Aachen, the Charlemagne treasures there are jaw-dropping.

By the way, if there are any chocolate lovers in your family, visit Mary Chocolates in Brussels. Oh. My. God.

I haven't been to the other destinations people are recommending, so I can't give you any more lowdown on the Lowlands. And save Amsterdam and London for the next trip!

Hoai Jan 21st, 2014 04:28 PM

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

We have lodging available at no charge for us in Brussels so we will have to be based out of there to minimize cost.

nytraveler Jan 21st, 2014 04:53 PM

We spent a week in touring eastern Belgium Belgium and Luxembourg by car and the entire area is charming and fascinating - but for me the highlight was Aachen. But I was a history major and any connection with Charlemagne is just thrilling to me.

joannyc Jan 21st, 2014 05:06 PM

Bruges, Ghent, Dinant.

Too bad you are staying in Brussels... but congrats on the free lodging. Are you using redemption points or with friends?

Hoai Jan 22nd, 2014 09:13 AM

We're staying with friends

Andrew Jan 22nd, 2014 09:15 AM

Brussels isn't my favorite town but it's not a bad place to visit at all. The Grand Place is beautiful when all lit up at night - a must-see in my opinion when you are in town.

PalenQ Jan 22nd, 2014 11:45 AM

Waterloo, Napoleon's downfall is a battlefield site in the Brussels suburbs.