Reload this Page >

Day trip from Austria to Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Maureen

Can anyone suggest a good place to visit in Germany for the day (possibly an overnight)on our route from Salzburg, Austria to Lucerne, Switzerland? We are looking for a nice day trip to sightsee beautiful scenery, castles, etc.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Russ

I'd overnight in Lindau on the east end of Lake Contance. Beautiful town on an island just offshore, with good train connections, if that's how you're going. There are some old city wall fortifications and a nice harbor there. On the way to Luzern, you could stop in Meersburg, to the west on the north side of the lake, for a castle visit. <BR> <BR>Here's a photo of Lindau: <BR> <BR>http://www.bodensee-aktuell.de/staed...u-inhalt2.html

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Linda

In Salzburg you are very close to Bavaria and can easily see Neuschwanstein on route to Lucern if you start early enough. It will add to the length of the day, but will be worth it. Bavaria and the trip across Austri to Lucerne will more than fit your bill for gorgeous scenery.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Philip

I would recommend either Oberammergau or Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Oberammergau is famous for its wood carvers and has beautiful wood carvings to buy. In Garmisch-P you can ride a cable car to the top of the Zugsptize which is Germany's highest mountain (wonderful view!!). To me, Neuschwanstein is extremely crowded and the tour is rushed. For castles, I would consider going to Linderhof (which is a short distance and easy bus ride from Oberammergau).

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Joel

<BR>I'd suggest an overnight in Bavaria in Oberammergau with a route that takes you as follows: A8 west from Salzburg toward Munich, A93 (A12 in Austria) to Innsbruck, just past Innsbruck take rte 177 (2 in Germany) to just past Garmisch, & rte 23 to Oberammergau. This takes you through the Inn River valley in Austria which is breath taking, then in Germany you'd hit Mittenwald about lunch time. Enroute to Oberammergau you can see Kloster Ettal & Linderhof Castle. Next day, continue on rte 23 a short way & look for a sign for Wies Kirche & Steingaden & go visit the Wies. Then go on to Steingaden & turn left on rte 17 to go to the Royal Castles.From there, head to Lindau & Lucerne.