Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip from Antwerp into Netherlands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-from-antwerp-into-netherlands-413128/)

jck4 Aug 14th, 2008 07:57 AM

Day trip from Antwerp into Netherlands?

Hi - My husband, 23 month old son and i will be in Belgium next month and are thinking of spending a few nights in Antwerp. Are there any nice places within a 90 min train ride from northeastern Belgium that we might want to visit? Thanks, julie

jck4 Aug 14th, 2008 08:28 AM

to answer my own question, how far would a train ride from Antwerp to Delft/the Hague be?

scatcat Aug 14th, 2008 08:53 AM

The train to Delft will take about an hour and half. You will have one change in Rotterdam. I love Delft. I stay about 4-5 nights twice per year. Just watch out for bicycles.

zeppole Aug 14th, 2008 08:59 AM

If you go to Den Haag -- I'm sorry I don't know the train time -- be sure to visit the Panorama Mesdag. (Google it up.) The Mauritshuis is, of course, a lovely, lovely small art museum.

Antwerpen is a terrific destination, especially for food. Gent would be a wonderful day trip from there.

Have a great time!

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2008 09:07 AM

Bruges is no more than 90 mins i;d think and one of Europe's dreamiest old cities

Gent, similar but more workaday, is even closer

Nothing can be finer than those two old Flemish gems

scatcat Aug 14th, 2008 09:15 AM

I agree. Bruges is a beautiful place-some of the prettiest old buildings.

zeppole Aug 14th, 2008 09:20 AM

I would only caution about Brugge that is probably more enjoyable on a weekday than a weekend, when crowds are thinner, and in the afternoon rather than the mornings, when tour buses have moved on.

If the weather is very nice and warm, you might want to head for the seaside. I've never been, but I understand there is a train that toodles down the coast.

jck4 Aug 14th, 2008 09:59 AM

thanks to all - we are actually spending 3 nights in Brugge, 3 in Antwerp, with day trips from each of those cities.

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2008 10:23 AM

From Bruges a very different type of day trip could go by rail to Ostende, the Queen of Flemish North Sea resorts and then hop the remnant of the Vicinal interurban tram network that once laced all of Belgium

Trams trundle thru the sand dunes and thru thriving seaside ports and resorts like Blakkenburge (sp?) and Knokke-Heist

TommieG Aug 20th, 2008 01:15 AM

The Hague (Den Haag) is about 90 minutes by direct train (every hour) from Antwerp (you can look up the times at www.ns.nl).
Delft is on the same line (15 minutes by train from The Hague and Rotterdam), you just have to change trains in Rotterdam.

Breda is also a nice town to spend a day. This is about an hour from Antwerp (change trains at Roosendaal). Quicker by car.

hetismij Aug 20th, 2008 03:08 AM

The Hague is a good choice - your son will enjoy Madurodam, and if the weather is good you could go to Scheveningen to the sea side too.
Do visit Panorama Mesdag if you go to the Hague.

utrechtman Aug 22nd, 2008 07:08 PM

i'm surprised no one mentioned brussels. it's a direct "shot" by train and has a beautiful town center. to me the areas i saw had a decidedly french feel to them with nice cafes and shops. the food (in some restaurants) is really good, but if you go, DO NOT go to any of the tourist trap restaurants in, what was to me, "restaurant row" where they come out to you and try to get you to come in.

brugge is absolutley outstanding, and if given a choice, i'd take brugge hands down!!

i also found utrecht to be an interesting city with it's sunken canals, dom church (panoramic view if you can walk to the top), netherlands railroad museum, etc. had the best ribs at a restaurant on the old canal, and so much is within walking distance. have a great trip!!

ashleygerrald Apr 17th, 2009 11:39 PM

Brugges, Antwerp, Ghent and Flanders are a few must see places in Belgium.. did find info. on these places in (http://www.norfolkline.com/ ).. not sure, abt their distance from each place.

avalon Apr 18th, 2009 01:59 AM

With only 3 days in Antwerp I don't know if I'd even consider a day trip. There is so much to see there.

hetismij Apr 18th, 2009 03:07 AM

This thread is nearly a year old!

jck4 Apr 18th, 2009 03:34 PM

yes! I have a trip report on here somewhere. we day tripped to Ghent.