Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trip by train from Rome to Pompeii? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-by-train-from-rome-to-pompeii-161150/)

candace Feb 16th, 2002 03:24 AM

Day trip by train from Rome to Pompeii?

My sister and I will be in Rome for only 7 days this first time (Mar 9-15) and will be making one day trip to Florence via train. My sis has her heart set on seeing Pompeii too. What is the feasibility of this as a day trip? Would we need to plan to stay overnight? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Vincenzo Feb 16th, 2002 04:58 AM

Dear Candace, good evening.<BR>The wish of your sister is nice: Pompei deserves a day trip.<BR>By train it means the whole day away from Rome and it is possible if you agree with awake early in the morning.<BR>Train from Rome to Pompei is 06.10: ES until Naples (arrival time 07.56) and then normal train (not CV, always the same company, trenitalia) departure 08.15. The train station is not close to scavi but, at that time, a long walk is not a problem.<BR>Return is 16.25 from the same train station you arrived: arrival time at Naples 17.05. ES from Naples 17.30. Arrive at Rome 19.15 by ES. Time good enough for a fine dinner after a fast lunch at Pompei.<BR>So, a daily trip is possible.<BR>So, you don't need an overnight.<BR>Yes, you don't need, but if you want, then you appreciate the evening in Naples or in Penisola Sorrentina, and the music changes.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Walter Feb 16th, 2002 06:03 AM

Vincenzo: Why would you want to take a regular FS train to Pompei and then a long walk to/from the site of Pompeii? The Circumvesuviana has a "DD" (express) train at 0811 and regular stop trains at 0822 & 0839 and it drops you ~50m from the Pompeii scavi entrance. Regards, Walter

Natalie Brown Feb 16th, 2002 07:27 AM

Dear Candace,<BR><BR>I currently live and work in Rome and I think your sister is right, a day trip to Pompei is a must. I can give you some information on a fabulous tour company who give day tours to Pompei going via Naples and also visiting Sorrento. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for more information and if you have any further questions.<BR><BR>Natalie

marianna Feb 16th, 2002 08:10 AM

Natalie, would that fabulous tour company just _happen_ to be www.odyssey-tours.com? You don't work for them now do you??? Ciao Marianna

Vincenzo Feb 16th, 2002 10:11 AM

Walter:<BR>for two reasons: to buy only one ticket once in Rome for Pompei a/r for 2 persons and to avoid downstairs and upstairs between Napoli Centrale and Circumvesuviana station. <BR>There is also another reason: the train FS travels so close to the beach that you can look at the Bay of Naples better than Circumvesuviana.<BR>Anyhow, my real suggest to Candace is to plan to stay one night in Penisola Sorrentina so that they can feel the magic atmosphere of this land.

candace Feb 16th, 2002 06:33 PM

Thank you all Vincenzo, Walter and Natalie for your responses. I love this list! I have been reading it for about a week, and everyone is so generous with their kind help, information and suggestions. I hope that when I return that I might be able to share some tidbit that will help someone.