Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip bus tours from Madrid to Segovia and Avila etc...

Jun 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Madrid in 3 weeks and wanted to book a small group day tour to Segovia and Avila and also a day tour to Toledo, El Escorial. Unfortuneately it is big bus company or private. So we are going with big bus tour. We have read some pretty scary reviews about the big tour companies that go there.

Can anyone please let us know if they have done the above day tours and which of the big tours( viator, Julia, or Trapsatur) did you use and were happy with your choice?

We are going to do the Toledo tour on a Sunday, and Segovia on a Tuesday, do we get the included lunch or are there places to find lunch around where we stop?

Thank you for all your help!!
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Have you already booked one of these tours? If not, I highly recommend that you contact Stephen Drake Jones of the Wellington Society. You can Google him on-line. He is a historian who takes groups out on educational excursions and walks. I have been on four tours/walks with him and loved every one.
Whatever you do, there are places to grab a bite of lunch in both city centers.
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM

These towns are easy to reach by public transportation which is comfortable and reliable.
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. We want to squeeze in multiple towns into one day and that is why we can't go by public transportation. Otherwise we love the idea of contacting Stephen DRake Jones.

We are hoping that someone who has been on a tour bus with a tour operator can comment on his/her experience and help us determine which one to use unless there is some small group in a minivan tour.
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM

If I had to choose between an organized bus tour of Segovia and Avila or just visiting Segovia on my own, I'd definately skip the bus tour. I'd rather have one quality down exploring a city at my own pace than a tour bus day when I get to "see" Segovia and Avila. Same for Toledo/El Escorial. I'd rather just see Toledo if it meant having to take a tour bus and see both.
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:22 AM
kja

I agree with CathyM! Segovia and Toledo are both easily visited on your own and at your own pace. Trying to fit each in with another destination on the same day trip with a large tour group is not something I can imagine finding enjoyable.
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I was responding only to your desire to do a tour, but Kja, Aduchamp and CathyM are all absolutely correct. You do not need a tour to reach Segovia or Toledo. Both are easy to do on your own by train or bus, and I agree with them. Doing one place and really seeing it is better than trying to rush through two. You can easily spend a whole day in either Toledo or Segovia.