Day trip: Bath, Stonehenge or Cambridge?

Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:43 PM
Fred

Day trip: Bath, Stonehenge or Cambridge?

For a day trip (not overnight) out of London, would you suggest Bath, Stonehenge or Cambridge? I personally like ancient ruins, but so many people have suggested I visit Cambridge instead of Bath or Stonehenge.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:16 PM
Carol

I would choose Bath because I think the Roman Baths are wonderful and wouldn't want no miss that. The Town is also nice. If you are really not bothered if you go to the baths or not, then I would choose Cambridge because the colleges are wonderful, you could spend a very full day wondering from one to the other and walking along the river. The town, pubs and shopping is good too. I was not overly impressed with Stonehenge, maybe because I have been to the middle east and seen all that has to offer. I just don't think Stonehenge is worth it unless you have lots of spare time, but don't miss something else for it. Just my opinion and I guess many people will feel differently. Good luck,have a great trip

Nov 3rd, 2000, 08:33 PM
donna t

Go for Bath one of my most memorable places in/around London.

Nov 4th, 2000, 04:38 AM
s.fowler

I'd vote for Bath too. Other than the Baths [and the extensive museum attached to them], and the cathedral, there is the era of Jane Austen all around you, plus the architecture of the "crescents." The river is lovely. There is a bridge modeled after the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, some interesting tourist shopping and some nice places to eat. And it's all pretty self-contained.

Stonehenge underwhelmed me. And I'm glad I saw it, given its place in our "mythology."

As for Cambridge and Oxford. the architrecture and history are wonderful, but they are pretty much "one theme" towns -- and since I work in academe enough is enough when I am on vacation!

Here are some of our pictures of Bath and Stonehenge: http://www.geocities.com/shrimp56/england/index.htm

Nov 4th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Bob Brown

If you go with a bus tour, you can do both Bath and Stonehenge in one day.
The last time we were in London, my son (age 16) went with a tour group from the hotel while Mom and Dad did something
else. (The bus left from the hotel and returned to the hotel. 90% of the people on it were with the group that came over on a charter from Atlanta.)

Nov 4th, 2000, 09:54 AM
s.fowler

We also took a bus tour of Bath and Stonehenge last March -- with Evan Evans. As tours go it was fine. And we would never have gottne there without them!

One piece of advice if you take the Evan Evans tour. They take you to the baths first [in bath]. You start at the top, then go through a nice museum, THEN see the baths from the bottom. My advice? Zip through the museum if you want to have time to see anything else in Bath. It's hard to do because it is interesting, but if you want to eat, wander the town, see the cathedral and shop, well you have to close your eyes and move rapidly

Nov 4th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Rose

I vote for Bath as well, it's a wonderful place to visit, you'll wish you had more time there!

Stonehenge underwhelmed me too, I couldn't believe they were charging L5 ($13cdn, $8 US) to get closer to it! Whatever for? I don't mind paying an entrance fee if there are operating costs to be paid in maintaining a building or site, but whatever is there to maintain at Stonehenge? I was on a tour and most of us just took in the site from the road.

Nov 4th, 2000, 10:50 AM
wendy

There is no way you can do justice to Bath in just a day, so I would vote for Stonehenge. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen, and am very glad I saw it in person. It won't take you all day, though.
I thought Cambridge was incredibly underwhelming. A day there is more than sufficient.
A better day trip is Canterbury. You can take the train or bus from London and see the Cathedral and castle ruins, possibly have lunch there, well worth the trip.

Nov 4th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Paule

I vote for Bath, too. The Roman Baths are wonderful, and its a beautiful town for strolling. I think the town has more to offer than Cambridge, though it IS a good day trip, too. If you can take a tour or get an early start, I would recommend stopping at Stonehenge, too. I understand many people's frustration with the place, but I was truly moved by being there. But I think we arrived at the right time; we were there during the summer, and got there shortly before closing (6pm, I think). It wasn't crowded, and although there was a small rope around the stones, I was able to visualize it as a complete monument. However, a trip to Stonehenge isn't a complete daytrip.

Nov 4th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Guido

Just returned from a trip to London and other cities. We had the same dilemma. On advice on this board we went to Bath. Wonderful choice. No regrets. Cannot comment on Cambridge or Stonehenge.

Have a wonderful trip!

Nov 4th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Debbie

I too vote for Bath. It is an easy train ride from London, and if you get there early in the day - they have free walking tours of the city, guided by historical society volunteers. ( I think our tour was at 10 am or so. but in high season they may do 2 a day.)
Our guide was entertaining & informative.

I loved Bath!

Nov 4th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Kathy

We went to Cambridge last year. We stayed overnite at Arundel Hotel, it was very nice. I liked it a lot even in Nov. Duxford is an old airfield with lots of old WWII airplanes and things like that. It was worth it and that was the reason we went. My 78 year old father in law is really into WWII stuff, so we did the whole thing. The cabinet war rooms and 2 days at the Imperial War Museum in London. I liked it and I am not even a WWII fan as he is but I am a 44 year old female.

Nov 4th, 2000, 05:23 PM
steve

How are you travelling? If you are driving, then I would recommend Stonehenge and Avebury.

I liked Cambridge - spent a week there. Check to see if there are special events at the University. I went on a 'bell ringing' tour and found it fascinating. I also spent a couple of hours making a brass rubbing. Lots to do, just depends on what you like.

Nov 4th, 2000, 10:40 PM
t

t

Nov 5th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Lori

I was amazed to hear some of the replys about Stonehenge! I was absolutely entranced by its majesty and could've spent hours just staring at it. My girlfriends and I did a day trip last year to both Stonehenge and Bath - and it was a perfect day. We headed out of London fairly early and went to Stonehenge first, and then to Bath. I was equally impressed with the roman baths and it was truly a quaint and cozy little town. Have a fantastic time no matter which path you choose!

Nov 5th, 2000, 01:16 PM
adina

I would definitely suggest Stonehenge-- it is perfect for a day trip, you won't feel rushed as you would in a town like Bath or Cambridge where you would feel you need extra time. I found Stonehenge absolutely entrancing-- even if you are there during the summer in the middle of the day it never feels crowded and you get a sense of the countryside.