Reload this Page >

Day Trip & Swimming on the Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:59 PM
dln

If the heat wave carries on for the next two weeks, we're going to want to swim! When we take a day trip to Positano and surrounding towns, are there cabanas at the public beach in which we might change into our swimsuits? Are there secure lockers to leave our hotel key? One of those little question of logistics that requires been-there experience. Thanks!

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dln,

I think that there are lockers at the beach in Positano,but if not, you can always rough it and change in the public bathrooms which are very close to the beach. As for the hotel key, why not leave it at the hotel?

Have fun!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:44 PM

There is no real 'beach' in Positano. It is a few feet of rocks filled with women and their kids. Hard to walk into the water unless wearing water shoes. I suggest you pack a lunch, rent a motor boat right there at the 'beach' (not to expensive) and head south. Just go about 20 minutes or so along the coastline, drop anchor, lower the ladder, and swim wherever you want to. And you don't have to worry about changing. You can swim naked. The boat is small and easy to handle. There is also an emerald grotto about 15 minutes south of Positano that you could check out. By the way, how are you getting there? The nearest train station is Naples and it is then another 45 minutes by bus or cab to Positano.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi dln,

If you are going to Positano and surrounding towns for a day, you won't have time to swim.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:53 PM
ira

Hi,

Just wish to put in a plug for safety. If you rent a boat to go swimming, bring along some twine (1/8 - 1/4 is OK) and tie one end to the boat and one end around your ankle.

If not well anchored, boats drift away.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:57 PM
dln

LOL, Ira! You know from my itinerary that we're triple-booked everyday of our trip! Why not try to squeeze in another activity? We'll be on the beach in Positano anyway, collecting sea glass for our daughter. We're not allowed re-entry in USA unless we have a bag of the stuff to give her.

bugswife: love the boat idea! We'll bring along plenty of sunscreen... We're coming from Sorrento, most likely on the hydrofoil.

Weadles: I knew you'd have an answer for me! Thought about leaving the hotel key at the hotel, but you and Lisa gave such great restauarant recommendations! We need to bring some moolah; may as well bring the key.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:00 PM
dln

Ira, thank you for adding that bit. We are far more accustomed in Indiana to lake boating than sea boating. I appreciate your common sense tip.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Hey dln!

I have to agree with "Bugswife" that the beach at Positano is not the real thing like the Caribbean, but still, we did go swimming there, and as I remember, they do have concession stands, lockers, etc.

I love the idea of taking a boat elsewhere. Maybe you should think about making a deal with one of the water taxi drivers for a few hours. They're bound to know the best places to go, and that way you'll be able to sit back and enjoy.

Have a great trip! And please post when you get back! Ciao!
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM

If you're coming from Sorrento, you'd be better off swimming there. The beach, while certainly not the Caribbean, is nicer than Positano. There's a small sandy beach and a long concrete breakwater further out. You can rent a lettino (beach chaise) and umbrella, and get a changing room and shower included.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:34 PM
dln

Thanks all. I'm finding out (as everyone does, sooner or later...) that there's so much to do that's fun, and so few hours in the day!!! I have the feeling that it's a good thing there will be a full moon over the Bay of Naples when we're there. We'll be operating by moonlight with all the stuff I have planned. b-(

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:23 AM

bugswife:

Do you mind sharing information on cost and type of boat you rented out while in Positano? I am assuming that you drove the boat yourselves, right? Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:49 AM

When my husband and I were in Positano in June, we decided to rent a one of the small (15hp) yellow/white boats with the blue awning. Neither one of us have a lot of experience with boats but enough that we thought it would be easy and a fun way to spend the day. Our goal was to drive to Marina del Cantone for lunch and drive back.

I was the driver as I'm a control freak (according to my husband). It turned out to be harder that it looked. To drive these boats, you must twist the handle to go faster/slower while using the handle to steer - kinda like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. If I went fast, the front of the boat came so far out of the water that I couldn't see in front of us. Two hours later, we arrived at our destination and I was exhausted! A couple of restaurants had their boats out trying to pick up patrons so we gladly picked one and went in for lunch.

We had a wonderful meal with wine and a great waiter! The more we ate and drank, the less we wanted to drive our boat back to Positano. In the end, we ended up hiring someone to drive us back in the boat (the boy in the boat who picked us up), and the waiter drove his motorcycle to Positano to pick him up! That cost us 100 euros! If you add the cost of the boat (35 euros) and the cost of lunch, it was an expensive day! But we had a great time and have a story to tell.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:52 PM

Hmmm. It was 5 years ago so I am not 100% sure. It was a small little putt-putt. Slightly bigger than a row boat with an awning, green I think. We shanghai'd another honeymooning couple and 4 fat american adults fit quite comfortably. About $40 US per hr. It was easy as pie. We drove ourselves (and we have zero boating experience). The water is calm and we went slow. Jumped off the boat to swim and then gave each other wedgies trying to haul back in, until we rather sheepishly noticed a small ladder under one of the bench seats. Duh. Actually I found it when I was hauled face forward onto the floor of the boat and had a birds eye view of what objects lay on the bottom.
We didn't go too far south, just far enough to find the emerald grotto and a secluded little cove to drop anchor and swim in. We brought some snacks and water. Had a real lunch at Chez Black on the beach of Positano when we returned. All in all it was a pleasure and a highlight of our trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:37 PM
dln

Swimming in the sea? No, swimming with delight at the thoughts of being in the Amalfi Coast in two weeks! Thank you all so much for sharing your travel experiences--I have a few new ideas now...