Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day tours from Edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-tours-from-edinburgh-763312/)

CAPH52 Jan 24th, 2009 10:25 AM

Day tours from Edinburgh

I tried to post this last night but the site wasn't cooperating.

Last night I looked through the first hundred or so posts that come up when you put Edinburgh in the search box. And I didn't see anything on this. I apologize if I missed a previous discussion.

The official Edinburgh tourism website lists several companies that do day tours to Loch Ness and the Highlands. Has anyone here done any of them? I'd love to know whether anyone can recommend one over another. Or steer me away from one with which they had a less than pleasant experience.

Thanks.

SusieQQ Jan 24th, 2009 12:45 PM

I took a three-day trip with Rabbies and was very happy with them.

http://www.rabbies.com/

CAPH52 Jan 24th, 2009 01:06 PM

Thank you, Susie! When you're presented with several companies who seem to all offer basically the same tour, it's hard to know which one to choose. I really appreciate getting feedback from someone who's used one of them.

rogeruktm Jan 24th, 2009 01:12 PM

In Inverness we did a tour of Orkney with Puffin express. They do others.

CAPH52 Jan 24th, 2009 01:40 PM

Thanks, rogeruktm. They seem to do tours only from Inverness. But I appreciate the info.

scotlib Jan 24th, 2009 02:58 PM

I enjoyed the Rabbies tour to St. Andrews (not as far as you want to go, sorry). A traveler at the same guest house enjoyed the Rabbies to Loch Ness tour. I have usually heard/read good things about Rabbies.

I also did a day tour with Heart of Scotland, http://www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk/ My tour with Colin (a great storyteller!) went the opposite direction, down to Hadrian's Wall, but I do recommend them from the experience of being a customer.

Enjoy!

CAPH52 Jan 24th, 2009 05:25 PM

Thank you very much, scotlib! I'm glad to hear more good feeback on Rabbies. And the Heart of Scotland website looks good too. I was interested to see that they offer students discounts as it'll be me and my college student son. Didn't notice whether Rabbies offers them too.

MomDDTravel Jan 24th, 2009 05:38 PM

Caph when are you going?? I watched Edinburgh bring in the new year from our apartment in Paris and swore one day I would like to do that :)

CAPH52 Jan 24th, 2009 05:55 PM

Hi, Dawn. In June. DD's Irish wedding is June 6th. We'll arrive in Ireland about a week before. Then DH, DS and I are going to Barcelona for a few days the week after. DS and I are staying for a week after DH flies home.

We're hoping to go to Edinburgh and London with a possible stop in York. But we're trying to do it as economically as possible while still making it reasonably comfortable for this 56 year old!

unclegus Jan 25th, 2009 12:56 AM

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/o...ile-tours.html
here is a link to a list of tour companies within Edinburgh,most are for local tours but a few do day tours out of the city with quite a few good options.
I don't know when you are visiting but would suggest you avoid the Loch Ness tour in the wintertime.
This is a LONG tour and much of it will be spent sitting on the bus (as much as 8 hours).in the summetime you will be able to enjoy the scenery but in the winter time much of the tour will be spent in the dark.
Some of the foreign students i work with have done the Loch Ness tour with Scotline tours and very much enjoyed it.

sheila Jan 25th, 2009 01:32 AM

I can give you a word doc with some things you might like to think of doing independently,. by car or by train, if you email me

scotlib Jan 25th, 2009 02:36 AM

Hi CAPH52, if your son is attending college, tell him to definitely bring his college ID.

I am back in school, brought mine, and used it at least 4x .. both day tours, getting into Rosslyn Chapel, and the Mary Kings Close tour. A few pounds saved were pounds I could spend later!

The day tours were convenient ways to see things (someone else to drive and some of the drivers are great storytellers), but you may want to take up Sheila on her offer of instructions of doing some of this on your own, and compare costs.

Also, if you go independent, you are not always worried about getting back to the bus on time to rush to the next stop.

CAPH52 Jan 25th, 2009 07:09 AM

Thank you, unclegus. We'll be there in June so should have plenty of daylight! I appreciate your info.

Thank you so much, Sheila! I'll take you up on that offer. We're going to be so limited on time that one day tour is probably all we'll have time for. And I'm definitely not planning to rent a car this time. But now that we have in-laws in Ireland, I'm sure we'll be visiting more often. And my husband and I would really like to take a more leisurely trip to Scotland in the future. So your info would be very helpful in planning that trip.

Thanks for that advice, scotlib. He's planning to get one of the student IDs as I know there are some places that insist on those official ones rather than just his one from school. But he'll take that one along too! We're also planning to get 7 day Heritage Passes. Since we're going to be in London and probably York, I think we'll way more than get our money's worth.

I really appreciate all of the wonderful feedback I've gotten on this thread so far!

caroline_edinburgh Jan 26th, 2009 04:24 AM

I've also often seen good reports of Robbie's on this site. Loch Ness isn't the most scenic loch, though, so you may like to look at what else is on offer.

CAPH52 Jan 26th, 2009 05:44 AM

Thanks for that insight, Caroline. I'll make sure we read through the itineraries of all of the tours before we decide which one we want to take.

Which area do you feel would be the most scenic for a day tour?

MomDDTravel Jan 26th, 2009 06:26 AM

Caph - I cannot wait to read of the wedding and your travels :)

CAPH52 Jan 26th, 2009 07:07 AM

Thanks, Dawn. I seem to fluctuate between being very anxious and not wanting it to come too fast. KWIM?!

I'm sure you remember all too well what it's like to have a child getting married! Even though in this case they're already legally married, I have a feeling the one in June will be the more emotional of the two.

However, it sure is nice to have a trip to plan in the dead of winter. Somehow, walking to work in the snow is a little easier when you have something like that to look forward to! :)

Just wish I'd win the lottery between now and then! :D

rosetravels Jan 26th, 2009 07:49 AM

Hi Caph -
I remember when you were planning your trip to Ireland with a daughter in school there. I guess this is what happens when they go away to school! What a wonderful event!

Rose

CAPH52 Jan 26th, 2009 07:58 AM

Thanks, Rose! It truly is. Dealing with all of the immigration issues (including two weddings!) hasn't been easy. But we feel so blessed that she met such a wonderful guy.

And I feel sure that the wedding in June will be a wonderful experience for all of us. Not to mention giving us the opportunity to travel!

However, our son is hoping to do his semester abroad in South Africa next year. I've already given him strict instructions that he's not allowed to fall in love while he's there! I don't think the odds are in our favor that he would also meet someone willing to live here. And South Africa is just too far away! :D

BigRuss Jan 26th, 2009 02:30 PM

Take Sheila up on her offer. I did and her advice is generally outstanding.

We traveled independently and had a blast on a four-night circuit of the Highlands. We went to Loch Ness, Culloden, Cawdor, Blair, Brodie and Dunrobin Castles and stayed two nights in Inverness; then we stayed just west of Aberdeen and went to about seven other castles, the Highlander infantry museum and more.