Search

Day Tours from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Biarritz

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Tours from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Biarritz

Hello-
My husband and I will be in Bilbao, Spain (end of October 2018) and would like to take a day trip to San Sebastian and Biarritz. I've looked at a few tour companies but, don't know much about them. Has anyone in the Fodor's community used any of these tour services? Feedback? What did you like? Not like? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 06:03 PM
kja

Have you considered going on your own? You have some wonderful public transportation options. Check rome2rio.com -- and just be sure to click through to the underlying links, as the main site is not particularly sensitive to seasonal variation in schedules.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Hello. Yes, doing it on our own is a consideration as well. Honestly, we don't usually do tour groups however, we have a limited amount of time in this area (just 2 days in between Paris and London). We are using one full day to see Bilbao and the second day is set aside for San Sebastian/Biarritz. I thought something organized would give us the opportunity to see the most in one day. Thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in Bilboa next week and will do a day trip by myself. it about 90 minutes by bus, costs about 7 euros each way. Book with Alsa.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

Here are some tourist links
Tourist Office : https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/

Walks: https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/come/maps

Funicular: https://www.monteigueldo.es/monte-igueldo-funicular

Palacio del Miramar : https://www.sansebastianholidays.com/ca/

Basilica: https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/...ious-buildings

Cathedral: https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/...ios-religiosos

Regards Ger
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 01:30 AM

We did a day trip to Bilbao from Donostia easily on our own on the Alsa bus. We didn't do Biarritz because we've already been there. I think trying to cram Donostia and Biarritz into a single day would be overkill.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 02:59 AM

I´d visit Getaria, Orio and maybe Zumaia on the way to San Sebastian, and then the city (you can easily visit it in three or four hours). Biarritz would have to be another day. I think this town is much overrated and famous for the wrong reasons. St Jean de Luz and Bayonne, IMO, are much better and nicer options, with more things to see and enjoy.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 10:39 AM

I remember passing through Biarritz and thinking it reminded me of La Jolla!.St Jean de Luz no biggie- just a place for macarons! I'd skip both and spend the day in San Sebastian
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Macarons in St-Jean-de-Luz? You're kidding, right? Not that those infernal macarons aren't all over France, but S-J-d-L is hardly a mecca for them. Seafood? Yes.

It's one of the prettiest places in that part of France, like a miniature Donostia.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 12:10 PM

Maybe you can find an interesting day trip here > https://www.tiqy.com/tours-and-activities-in-spain/bilbao

I did the Gaztelugatxe Tour, Modern Bilbao, and the Between Culture and Wine.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 12:39 PM

St Cirq, macarons were supposedly firstly made in St Jean de Luz, not the colored ones, but the real ones with almond color. The shop that makes and sells them is Maison Adam, established in 1660, as well as great Basque cake.

Melaniebonilla, I took a look at the web you mention...funny my company´s name is listed offering a tour...that I don´t offer and I´ve never heard of this people before!!

Last edited by mikelg; Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 12:48 PM

I didn't know that, mikelg, but nonetheless (and I've been to St-J-d-Luz a half-dozen times), it's not something that stands out for me as a hallmark of the town. I did just google Maison Adam and recognize the storefront. I probably never went in because I dislike macarons and don't have a sweet tooth. Never tried the real ones, though. Will do so next time around.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mikelg
St Cirq, macarons were supposedly firstly made in St Jean de Luz, not the colored ones, but the real ones with almond color. The shop that makes and sells them is Maison Adam, established in 1660, as well as great Basque cake.

Melaniebonilla, I took a look at the web you mention...funny my company´s name is listed offering a tour...that I don´t offer and I´ve never heard of this people before!!
No idea, mikelg. Try to contact them... I've booked trough their page about a month ago and the communication was good.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM

Louis XIV of France married Marie Therese of Spain in a very unique little church in St Jean de Luz in 1660 Macarons made by Maison Adam were then served at the wedding! The town is just streets filled with shops,restaurants and tourists.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 03:57 PM
kja

Originally Posted by mikelg
Oh no, mikel -- didn't you have a similar problem a few years ago? I had hoped you had found a solution.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Well, I sent and email to them and they answered back. They´ve told me that they used my name and the description of one of my tours without permission. They´ve kind enough to offer to remove it immediately, which I have requested them to do. Not sure if I´d trust a company like this.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 08:59 AM

good to know you were able to get a solution.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

This is very helpful.... thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you —- wasn’t sure if I was being overzealous by doing both towns in one day. Thanks for feedback.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you —- i’ll Look up the other options you mentioned. Very helpful.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 12:29 PM

St-Jean-de-Luz is unlikely to be swarming with tourists at the end of October. We almost always go late fall, winter, or early spring, and to say the streets are full of tourists is just incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -