Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day tour trips out of Lyon. anyone please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-tour-trips-out-of-lyon-anyone-please-236502/)

rich Jul 3rd, 2002 09:11 AM

Day tour trips out of Lyon. anyone please

will be in Lyon in Oct for 5 days in Oct. after l0 in Paris. any tour operators you know of please. would apapreciate any other siteseeing ideas down there.

Sue Jul 3rd, 2002 11:57 AM

Lots to see in Lyon itself, and a trip about 20 mi. north of town to the medieval village of Per(r?)ouges is worthwhile. Be sure to have the galette au sucre for which the village is famous!

Chris Jul 4th, 2002 03:59 AM

You can easily take trains to Nimes, Nice, Dijon, Geneva, etc., for day trips. <BR><BR>I wouldn't bother with a tour operator -- I believe there is only one that takes a tour to Perouges (if you don't have a car, you might want to sign up for that one). <BR><BR>The tourist office in Lyon should be your first stop -- lots of info there and a SNCF desk too.

rich Jul 4th, 2002 07:41 AM

Thank you Sue & Chris. Perouges sounds like a must; as well the other places you,ve mentioned. Understand food in Lyon is great. we eat any type. If it,s moving we kill it and then eat it. Any particular restaurants in medium range you are familiar with in the area? Excuse my ignorance but can you decipher for me SNCF?

Uncle Sam Jul 4th, 2002 08:01 AM

Rich,<BR><BR>You should consider taking the train to Beaune. It is a short trip, probably 90 minutes and the little city is outstanding.<BR><BR>Completely walled, wine tastings, lot of history and home to the beautiful hopsital provided to the poor by the Dukes of Burgandy.<BR><BR>And it is home to some of the nicest people in the world who reached out to us as we were in Beaune on 9/11 last year.<BR><BR>Beaune will always be a special memory for us!<BR><BR>US

Christina` Jul 4th, 2002 10:10 AM

I agree with suggestion for Perouges, but think for a day trip something closer than Nice would be best -- like Avignon, it's not far. <BR><BR>SNCF is acronym for the French national railway = Soci&eacute;t&eacute; Nationale des Chemins de Fer or National Society of the Iron Pathways (sort of).... very poetic .. chemin de fer is French for railroad <BR><BR>In Lyon, they have some nice museums, the decorative arts museum is outstanding and the textile museum next door is one of the best in the world, it has one of the few existing pourpoints in the world! One of Charles of Blois, as well as many other examples of rare clothing. Okay, I have a BS in Textiles so that was especially interesting to me, but others might enjoy it, in particular they have some nice silk exhibits. Curating is only in French, however. If you are interested in that, you can tour a silk factory, also. Here's a photo of the pourpoint<BR>http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html

Sue Jul 4th, 2002 03:28 PM

La Voute, sometimes known as Chez Lea, is a mid-priced restaurant with a well-deserved, long-standing, good reputation.

Wendy Jul 4th, 2002 07:49 PM

Rich,<BR><BR>I would go to Annecy for a daytrip from Lyon. It's about a two hour drive. Beautiful city on gorgeous lake,(the scenery is unbelievable-try to take a boat trip there if you can) great old town with lots of creperies, good beer, art galleries, boutiques, and people watching. We thoroughly enjoyed it when we were there two years ago.<BR>Good luck!

Chris Jul 5th, 2002 01:30 AM

If the search is working, I've posted numerous times about Lyon -- some restaurants too. <BR><BR>SNCF has a website, I believe it's www.sncf.fr. Be aware that Lyon has two train stations -- Perrache is between the two rivers and Part Dieu is east of the Rhone. It can make a big difference!

ttt Jul 5th, 2002 09:10 AM

topping

Andrea Jul 5th, 2002 11:02 AM

Annecy is a must. you'll love it. definitely go there.