Day tour to Delphi from Athens

Mar 10th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Day tour to Delphi from Athens

I am looking at a variety of day tours including taxis and buses and need a recommendation. Has anyone done a bus tour or a taxi with a larger group? We are 5 adults and 2 children, so we do not fit in a normal taxi. Any recommendations?
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM

ttt
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM

My husband and I did a day tour to Delphi last May - Chat, I think, but all of the big bus tours are the same. That and a second Argolis trip were the low points of our trip to Greece. Only had a couple of hours at Delphi, a typically lousy "tour lunch", and a stop in Arachova for shopping. (Apart from that, we had a group of beer-drinking French businessmen on a company pre-paid trip that spread themselves through the bus, were so noisy no one could hear the guide, and spent all their off-the-bus time drinking more beer and becoming louder.) And I can't say I'm terribly fond of being in large groups of people, anyway, even if they're all charming and polite. But you probably know how you react to group tours and maybe you wouldn't hate it like I did.

Still, with 7 people, I'd consider trying to find a mini-van taxi or even take two taxis. You might find that the increase in price over 7 bus tours wouldn't be so great. That would leave you without a guide, which might be helpful at Delphi; I'm not sure if there are guides for hire on site (like at Knossos) or not, but you could probably find out. On the other hand, if someone on the trip really bones up well with a good guide book, it wouldn't be that much worse than one of our tour guides was.

My daughter took a taxi to Delphi in Dec. '03 and was pleased. She said that it was less than twice the price of a bus tour, so it would actually have been a bit cheaper if there had been 4 instead of 2 of them. Of course, I suspect taxis may be cheaper in Dec. When we priced one for a 2-day Meteora trip last May, it was quite a bit more than we were willing to spend. But then the trip to Meteora was cancelled anyway, so we ended up on the two day trips.
Mar 16th, 2006, 04:09 AM
cheryl8

Hi, Eringas. When are doing this day tour? Maybe we can go together to spread the cost of the taxi? We're planning to go June 2 also including Oso Loukas (monastery, 20 mins. from Delphi). Let me know, thanks.