day tour of Pompeii & Amalfi Coast

Sep 6th, 2001, 10:25 AM
candace

day tour of Pompeii & Amalfi Coast

We're going to be in the Naples area for one day in mid October and would like to hire a driver for a tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions on arranging this ahead of time or can we find a driver at the port (cruise vacation)when we get there? Any idea of cost? It's about $270 for the two of us to to go on the tour provided by the cruise line and we spend about 3 hours in Pompeii(too much or not enough?)we only get one stop on the coast and thats in Amalfi and have only one hour there. We'd like more freedom and less bus!

Sep 6th, 2001, 11:49 AM
DJ

Candace,

we'll be using the services of Marcello Maresca later this month, his email address is: [email protected]. I know he has a web site but I'm not sure what that is (try typing his name in the search box on Yahoo). He's based out of Sorrento and charges $25/hour. He's been recommended on this board and on Conceirge.com. Try dropping him a line and requesting a price for what you want. Hope this helps.

Sep 6th, 2001, 12:14 PM
amanda

Hi!

You will need more than 3 hrs at pompeii unless you have a cartology degree..however, 3 hrs is better than none.

And, Pompeii is fantastic for even 3 hrs (and very tiring too-- wear good durable shoes). I spent the ENTIRE day there (got to watch the sunset there!). Oh, and make sure you actually buy one of the REAL Pompeii books with an actual map in it or you'll spend the entire time lost (these cost @ $10)! It's worth it, I promise. I took 3 rolls of film if that helps explain!!!

just a few suggestions! have fun-- that section of italy is incredible.

Jan 7th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Susan

I am going to be in Naples for the day this May. (Constellation cruise) How did your day trip go with Marcello? I am thinking of combining Pompeii with maybe Sorrento.

Jan 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Wendy

Candace,

We used the Garguilos ( father and son team based out of Sorrento) for a similar trip in July. They can be reached on their cell phones ( I don't know country or city codes anymore, sorry!) at:Giovanni Gargiulo (dad) 3387306575; Giancarlo Gargiulo (son) 3335226029. Or by email at:[email protected] I got their names off the forum, and we were absolutely delighted with both of them. We have since recommended them to many people who have also raved about them. If you have any other questions, just e-mail. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread