Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day in Munich?Heidelberg? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-in-munich-heidelberg-72536/)

Kari May 18th, 2000 06:45 AM

Day in Munich?Heidelberg?

My husband is going to Germany (Munich) for business. What can I do by myself during the daytime and still feel safe/communicate? We are also going to Heidelberg...what can we do there...places to eat, visit, etc.? <BR>I visitied Germany 20 years ago, but don't really remember anything except how much I liked it. Thanks.

Carol May 18th, 2000 01:15 PM

Hi Kari, <BR>Both Munich and Heidelberg are great to just wonder around. The shopping is great, buildings beautiful and it is very safe. Don't miss the castle in Heidelburg, lovely view and also stroll across the river, stunningly beautiful. <BR>Hope you have a wonderful trip : ) <BR>

Dick May 18th, 2000 04:51 PM

Saw Heidelberg in June '98 and will be there again next month to visit Daughter. Yes, the castle is great and the main shopping street the Haupstrasse is pedestrians only. Lots of interesting places and several good eateries. Very nice city. Defintely walk across the bridge and view the castle from across the river.

Deborah May 18th, 2000 06:28 PM

While in Heidelberg, wander into the churches; there are two main churches (beautiful from the castle); they are beautiful inside. I agree with the previous posts, walk across the river to view the castle. <BR> <BR>In Munich, there are wonderful shops and restaurants in the pedestrian zone. Be sure to check out the open market; it is just off the Pedestrian zone, near the Glockenspiel. There are picnic tables so you can buy a picnic and eat as you people watch. The market has food, fresh flowers, stuff like that. Again, visit the churches. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

carol May 19th, 2000 04:52 AM

I, too, hope to spend a night in Heidelberg. Any ideas of places to stay the night?

Dick May 19th, 2000 05:26 AM

Carol, we stayed at Zum Pfalgrafen about a block from Haupstrasse. Nice accommodations and breakfast is great! Don't have the address with me. Nor do I remember the rate with varies depending on the particular room. Street parking is at a premium but if I remember right that did have a couple of spots inside their property. We will be there in three weeks. Search this forum under Heidelberg and I think you will find another reference to this hotel. Our price was lower but I can not remember exact figure. I have phone number and address at home.

Stacey May 25th, 2000 11:59 AM

Carol - The Hotel Alt Heidelberg (Best Western) is very reasonable and walking distance to downtown. They bartender Andreas is wonderful and they also get some very big jazz names in the lounge. <BR>Kari - The Altsdtadt (old town Heidelberg) is extremely safe. I travel alone and this is one town I am completely comfortable in. You can find one of a million outdoor cafe's order a drink or a coffee and watch the people for hours. Email me for specific suggestions if you tell me a bit more about when and for how long you'll be there. Check out e-heidelberg.com

Tony May 25th, 2000 01:45 PM

There is quite a lot to see and do in Munich itself, but whilst there you should take the opportunity to head up into the mountains, say Garmisch Partenkirchen, or a day trip to Berchtesgarden and/or Salzburg.You can do these quite safely by train or by bus tours. Depending on time Innsbruck is also worth a visit.