Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day in Interlaken (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-in-interlaken-838279/)

spatzle May 1st, 2010 01:49 PM

Day in Interlaken

Hello all, I would appreciate some advice on a few remaining details for a trip with my parents and sister to Switzerland and Germany from May 24-June 1. Most of our trip will involve viewing sites that are of significance to our family history. However, we do have a few typical sightseeing items on our agenda, one of which is to take a ride up to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken-Ost on any of our first 4 full days (May 24-27, Monday-Thursday). We are very flexible on which day to do this, and I plan to call the weather service very early each morning and we will plan to take this day trip to Interlaken from our apartment on the first day that is likely to have good weather (fingers crossed).

The pertinent facts are: We are staying in an apartment about an hour north of Interlaken, so we will need to head out very early in hopes of getting the "Good Morning Ticket". We are renting a car when we arrive in Zurich, and will have it the whole time we are in Europe (flying back out of Zurich). One family member has some limited mobility so cannot walk long distances quickly, but walking around train stations, etc. is not a problem.

Here are my questions:
1. Although all the information I read says that it is not necessary for a group less than 10 to reserve tickets from Interlaken-Ost to Jungfrau, is there any disadvantage to me doing this? I'm a novice when it comes to trains, so I was surprised to read on the RailEurope site that tickets are valid for six months from the date of issue. This would indicate to me that I could buy them now, and just show up any of our days there that we wish. Is this a correct assumption, and is there any particular advantage to buying the tickets on site (besides the possibility that another volcano erupts and our trip would be canceled entirely)? I'd really hate to drive there and not be able to get a ticket.

2. I was unable to find general information about the Interlaken-Ost train station. Do you know if it is possible to keep our car parked there for an entire day, even if we decide to walk/bus around town after we arrive back at the station? Or is it fairly easy to find parking decks or street parking elsewhere in town? If you know of an especially convenient place to park in town, especially near the city park, that information would be useful as well. I'm definitely willing to pay for convenience since our stay there is so short, and we are going on the cheap in every other way possible.

I appreciate your advice on this, or any other related thoughts. Since our time there is short and with the mobility issues, I hope to have the details planned out pretty well ahead of time.

Suja May 1st, 2010 04:57 PM

Car Parking : There is a multi storey car park in Lauterbrunnen, which is very convenient. http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdef.../166_read-491/ . I have parked here a few times for trips in that area. For the Jungfrau trip, we started at Grindelwald which has a large car park at the station. The drive from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald is very easy.
SBB tickets (Swiss train system) are valid for the day, on any train on that route. You can buy the tickets online using a credit card if you register ahead on www.sbb.ch. You need access to a printer. If you write with questions to [email protected], they are very good with responses.

treplow May 1st, 2010 07:02 PM

I agree with Suja: Biy your tickets on the day that you will be travelling to the Jungfraujoch, either from Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. No need bothering with Interlaken. It's really not much of a tourist attraction. And the roads to either G. or L. are very good. L. has the advantage , that after the Jungfraujoch, you can drive to the end of the valley and take the cable car to the Schilthorn as well. I like it a bit better than the First, which would be a similar option from Grindelwald.

No matter what you do, be sure you get to the Jungfraujoch as early as possible. (1) Later in the day clouds tend to move in, (2) and also, thourist groups arrive which will be all over the joint.

spatzle May 2nd, 2010 09:12 AM

Thanks for the great tips! Originally I had thought we would start from Interlaken thinking that the roads to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald would be difficult to drive on, so I will look at thes options again and just buy the day of.

Mimar May 2nd, 2010 10:16 AM

The one thing (actually 2 things) you might want to do from Interlaken itself is take a cruise, either from Interlaken Ost on Lake Brienz or Interlaken West on Lake Thun. The former stops at Brienz, where you can take a bus to the Open Air Park at Ballenberg. But that's not a good choice for a poor walker. The cruise is, giving beautiful views of the Alps and the lakeside villages and villas.

I'm surprised you can buy tickets to Jungfraujoch on RailEurope. That line is private owned, as is the case for several other destinations in that area. One such is the train to Schynige Platte and its wildflower garden; it leaves from Interlaken Ost/Wilderswil and offers superb views as it climbs up. Hard seats though.