Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Hiking in Scotland-Help us find a great lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-hiking-in-scotland-help-us-find-a-great-lodge-468274/)

cmcfong Aug 19th, 2004 07:19 AM

Day Hiking in Scotland-Help us find a great lodge

Message: Janis and Sheila, You appear to be great resources. Here is our goal. A week in Scotland doing day hikes from a single base. We are four middle aged couples. While we love to hike we are also interested in nice lodging and great food. Can you suggest any lodges in Scotland which would particularly suit our plans? Cost of lodging around $150 per night, September travel dates.
Thanks so much.

sheila Aug 19th, 2004 07:24 AM

Do you want to walk on the flat or up hils; and if up hills, how steep/high?

Can you clarify what you mean by a Lodge?

cmcfong Aug 24th, 2004 08:44 AM

Hi Sheila,
We enjoy hiking up hills. Elevation changes in 1-2 thousand foot range are fine and we generally like a grade of no more than 5% (although of course there might be places along the way with slightly steeper grades).
I use the term lodge to describe an inn with a common area for gathering. We like a breakfast inclusive place near good dinner places. We would want en suite accomodations.
Hope that is responsive. If it isn't, let me know what I can clarify. We certainly appreciate your help.

cmcfong Aug 26th, 2004 03:53 AM

ttt

sheila Aug 26th, 2004 04:09 AM

Sorry for the delay, been busy.

I think what you're looking for is east rather than west coast. The west coast mountains go from sea level to the sky. In the Cairngorms you have what they call the "long walk in" and I think that would suit you better. Base yourself somewhere around Nethybridge and there are some lovely walks through the forests, up the mountains, round lochs and all over the place.

I would have a look at Auchendean Lodge and at the Osprey in Kingussie

cmcfong Aug 26th, 2004 07:23 AM

Thanks, Sheila. I will take your suggestions.

cmcfong Aug 26th, 2004 07:42 AM

I looked at the properties you suggested, Sheila. They look perfect. Of course it helped that I just loved the Monarch of the Glen series. Thanks.

sheila Aug 26th, 2004 12:53 PM

I feel like my response was very churlish. I used to know a lot about this. If you base in this area, you can do Cairngorm and Ben Macdui, walk through the Ryvoan Pass, wander round Loch an Eilean, take the old railway line parallel to the Spey, walk in the Forest at Rothiemurchus, or Abernethy, see the Ospreys at Loch Garten, walk the old drove road south from Kingussie or climb in the Monadhliath mountains.

There are distilleries for day trips, and castles and bird reserves, and ancient history and touristy stuff like Landmark and the Highland Wildlife Centre and the shopping in Aviemore and Grantown.

Email if you want some stuff I did on this before and I can send you some book recommendations too.