Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day hikes around Gstaad and Les Diablerets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-hikes-around-gstaad-and-les-diablerets-326175/)

Peep Jun 11th, 2003 01:21 AM

Day hikes around Gstaad and Les Diablerets?

Hello! We're off to Lake Geneva soon (staying in Vevey) and are thinking about a daytrip into the mountains and possibly a hike. Do you have any recommendations for a moderate hike (we're pretty fit), starting and ending near train or bus stations that takes 4-6 hours? Any backup plans in case the weather doesn't cooperate? Thanks!

rayoflight104 Jun 11th, 2003 02:11 PM

If i go to the city by train, is it easy to get to a hiking trail in gstaad?

Peep Jun 12th, 2003 01:21 AM

to the top!

flygirl Jun 12th, 2003 04:02 AM

Peep! you amaze and inspire me. Can I go hiking with you sometime? :-)

Peep Jun 12th, 2003 04:51 AM

But of course! :) Bop on over!

BevK Jun 12th, 2003 06:19 AM

Hi Peep,
We just returned from Switzerland and did a day trip to Gstaad. We took the Wispile ski lift (about a mile from the promonade - we got directions from the information office)and there were many hikers at the lodge there. It felt wonderful to be up that high because Switzerland is in the midst of a heat wave. This was our first trip to Switzerland (also stayed in Vevey - at the Hostellerie de Geneve)and we loved it!

Peep Jun 12th, 2003 06:25 AM

Hi BevK,
Can you tell me more about Gstaad? Are there big mountains around? Is it a nice town to poke around for a few hours? Thanks!

Ursula Jun 12th, 2003 06:37 AM

Hi Peep!

I suggest you have a look at Gstaad's home page. Very cool site, also in English!

They have some 30 suggestions for day hikes, all very well described (length, difficulty, etc.).
So, I don't even have the courage (it's already around 30C here!) to make a start with what to do, although I've spend numerous holidays in the Gstaad area. You would have to spend at least two weeks up there to do them all!
The mountains are far less impressive, when comparing to the Grindelwald area, but I find the area as lovely, especially in summer.

You will also find suggestions for backup plans, like visiting a cheesery, the small, wonderful church in Saanen, etc.

Here's the page with the hikes (and bikes) tracks:

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/info/sport-f...-cat.htm?cat=2

BTW, Gstaad is about as highly rated as St. Moritz, but much much smaller. It's a village, really.
You'll find anything from Bulgari, Hermes, Chanel, Cartier branches, but also wonderful flower shops and delis.
You should know that Roger Moore, Julie Andrews and many more celebrities own chalets there.
In general, be prepared to very high prices.
I definitely prefer the nearby villages (Saanen, Schoenried, Saanenmoeser), as mentioned in previous posts.

While I know the Wispile from skiing, I prefer hikes starting in the mentioned villages.
Check the site out. It's very informative.

OK, I am off to the lakeside! Can't wait to jump into the water.

Peep Jun 12th, 2003 11:29 AM

Hey Ursula, what do you think of Les Diablerets?

rayoflight104 Jun 12th, 2003 11:35 AM

Is it possible to seen any of the chalets that celebrities own there in Gstaad? anyone know?

Peep Jun 13th, 2003 12:06 AM

Thanks, Ursula! Reading about all those hikes will keep me busy for a while! :)

Ursula Jun 13th, 2003 12:44 AM

You're welcome, Peep!

Yeah, isn't the Gstaad site cool? ;)

Well, the trip from Gstaad to Les Diablerets, speaking of the village, not even the glacier!, is pretty long and a bit slow, if you have to rely upon public transportation.
From Gstaad, it takes almost an hour by the yellow postal bus. The bus doesn't run that often (dep. Gstaad 08.33 AM, 09.50 AM, 12.03 PM).

With that, you're not even on the glacier yet. Personally, I haven't been up there in summer and cannot tell you anything about hikes, having only skied there. While I thought it was a pretty amazing experience, I'd say even when based in the area, it's still a long way to go onto the glacier. Only recommended on a most splendid day, anyway, given the considerable costs involved.

You can check out website of Les Diablerets for further information:
http://www.lesdiablerets.ch/ENGLISH/english.html

As for specific information about the Glacier 3000, it's here, also with an English version:
http://www.glacier3000.ch/

Given the fact, that you won't even be based in Gstaad but in Vevey (about one hour and a half away), I consider this almost impossible for a day trip, especially given all the other hiking opportunities you'll have in that whole area. I'd hit the Tourist Office (on the main street), once you're in Gstaad. They will be most pleased to provide you with information material like brochures, etc. You could also e-mail them and they will put some stuff into the mail for you.

BTW, some parts of Switzerland were hit by very strong and terrible thunderstorms last night. Among others, the Gstaad area is among the ones that were hit most. I would suppose, you won't see any damages though, the time you'll be there.

rayoflight,
Basically, you can see all the chalets. No problem there. They are not hidden behind tall walls. BUT, you will never find out to whom they belong. No names on mailboxes, etc. just the initials and this only maybe. Don't worry, the postman and home delivering services know.... And then, most chalets have names, like about anywhere in Swiss holiday resorts. They all look more or less the same, i.e. in the typical Bernese Oberland style. Very pretty, often with flowers on the balconies. One of the very few building really standing out, is the Gstaad Palace Hotel over Looks a bit like the Neuschwanstein Castle.

The celebrities like Gstaad, because they can lead an almost 'normal' life in Gstaad. Parties are often given behind closed doors in their homes.
But with some luck, you might spot one or the other. Spotted Roger Moore a couple of years ago, while standing in line for the ski lift. He was surrounded by some people, probably kind of bodyguards and a ski instructor.

But in the streets, no one will bother them (like the Yellow Press). The jet set celebrities who want to brag and be seen in people's magazines, goes to St. Moritz, the Cote d'Azur, etc.

One of my cousins works for a security company based in Berne. He is very often in the Gstaad area to install security and alarm systems in those chalets. From outside, you won't even notice such things, but they are there.

OK, I am off to Zuoz. :) 8-) =;
Really happy to find a cooler spot for a couple of days.
Right now, it's drizzling just a little here, but the heat will be back soon from what I gathered. :((

Peep Jun 13th, 2003 02:06 AM

Hey Ursula! I was thinking Gstaad OR Les Diablerets for a day trip from Vevey but not both. Gstaad looks good!

rayoflight104 Jun 13th, 2003 09:02 AM

Peep or Ursula,

Could i contact you by email to ask you some questions about Gstaad? Peep when are you going? I'm most likely going ot be there around the end of July for one day. I'd love to hear about your hiking and walking around the town if you decide to go to gstaad.

my email is [email protected]

thanks

Peep Jun 13th, 2003 12:15 PM

We're going next week! I'm not sure yet if we'll go to Gstaad, but I'll try to remember to post if we do. :)

BevK Aug 1st, 2003 12:34 PM

Peep, how was your trip to Vevey - I've searched but I can't find a trip report. Did you go to Gstaad - did you hike? I thought it was hot when we were there early in June, but I see that's it's continued to be very warm all summer. I'm glad now we went early in the summer.