Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   Day flight from US arriving London Late Night? (

Patrick Dec 6th, 2002 01:50 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I just thought it would be odd to refer to one of the large cars or even a van that was privately hired as a mini-taxi. So to be correct we should say, "licensed private hire operators"? Or can we shorten it to say "hired car service"?

ron Dec 6th, 2002 02:07 PM

Patrick, the nicknames are historical. Metered taxis are called black cabs because that was their colour originally. Unmetered and unlicensed taxis were called minicabs because originally most of them were Austin Minis. As to what to call them know, I would call them minicabs. But that bothers both tourists who have been warned about the dangers of using minicabs illegally trolling for business on London streets, and the legitimate operators who get lumped with the illegals. Just calling them a car service sounds good to me -- I don't know what value the adjective "hired" adds.

Mel P Dec 6th, 2002 07:13 PM

Barbara, that sounds like a reasonable deal, basically the only premium you'd be paying is the parking and tip, over say the Heathrow Express and taxi, and the premium is worth the convenience. I flew daytime once myself, it was great not to be jetlagged. Did the private car route that one time too, the hotel arranged it at very reasonable cost (£28, but this was 3-4 years ago) since I was getting in close to check-in deadline (this was a small hotel) and I needed to get there before 11PM when the desk closed (I made it).

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:55 AM.