Day cruise from Naxos

Search

Day cruise from Naxos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day cruise from Naxos

I am interested in doing a day cruise to Mykonos from Naxos with Visit-Cyclades.com. Has anyone used them before? Just trying to make sure it’s a reputable company. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 04:59 AM

Excursions to Delos from Naxos have been a stable business for many years. You can book with confidence.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 05:49 AM

I agree with Brotherlee. In fact, you can get a step-by-step PICTORIAL PREVIEW of that exact trip, thanks to a Canadian Graecophile and steady forum contributor Stanbr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr...57637922138466

Here's the direct link to excursions: https://visit-cyclades.com/day-cruises-naxos-cruises/ You will note that Vis-Cyc runs two different vessels MV Alexander & Naxos Star. If it's windy many prefer the former because it's bigger & a smoother ride. MV Alex runs M - W, Star runs T-Th ... also, on Saturday MV Alex apparently skips going to Delos en route, and lands at Mykonos at 11 ... check with a Naxos ticket agency about exact details when you reach the island ... no need to book beforehand & it's better to talk in person to one of the agencies at the port town.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Just book in a travel agency when you get to Naxos and know what the weather forecast will be. Visit-Cyclades doesn't actually operate the boats, they are owned and operated by separate individuals who use travel agents to handle the bookings. Many different agents on Naxos and Paros book trips on Alexander and Naxos Star.

The two vessels are actually both the same length, 41 meters, but Alexander is a catamaran and Naxos Star a monohull, which rolls more in rough seas. In either case it would be best to pick a day with light winds.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Further to what I wrote: Visit-Cyclades has its walk-in office at Piso Livadi on Paros: https://visit-cyclades.com/contact/

If you are on Naxos it would be better to book with an agency that has an office there, just in case there is a weather cancellation and it is necessary to rebook. One such agency is Naxos Tours, which has an office on the waterfront in Naxos Town: https://naxostours.net/en/cruises/

M/V Alexander is owned by a man from Antiparos whose company is called Cycladic Cruises: Cycladic Cruises - Company Profile

Naxos Star is owned by Panteleos Cruises. I can't find its company profile, but it has a Facebook page.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 11:22 AM

I did a day cruise from Naxos to Delos/Mykonos in early October. Depending on when you are going will ensure a cruise since October or other off or low-season time could be limited or not running.

There are numerous agencies in Naxos Town you can book with.

It's a long day, mostly on the boat but it was sunny, pleasant with Delos far more enjoyable and authentic than Mykonos. Delos is a World Heritage Archeological Site that is one of the best in Greece.

There may be a agency that just books trips to Mykonos but I'm not sure.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 05:56 PM

CrazyH, one of the sailings by MV Alexander goes straight to Mykonos without a delos stop, arrives at 11:00. Those interested should check the visit-Cyclades under the subhead Daytrips NAXOS.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you all very much for the information. We will be there the first week in August. I will book once I am on the island.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:14 PM

August is very busy, so you may want to reconsider booking ahead, but if you do, book with an agency that has a walk-in office on Naxos rather than on Paros. That way you can deal with someone face-to-face if weather requires a change in your booking. Alexander carries 380 passengers, and Naxos Star 300, so it is likely there will still be seats even if you wait.

I've been looking at the Alexander itinerary on marinetraffic.com, and it appears that boat stops at Delos for 10 minutes to drop off passengers there, then goes on to Mykonos for people who don't wish to tour the archaeological site. I certainly recommend a half day on Delos, but at least you have a choice.

Another alternative if you just want to go to Mykonos would be to take a scheduled ferry. The earliest you could get to Mykonos would be around noon, and you would have to return to Naxos around 4:30 pm, although some days there is a ferry as late as 7 pm. That would add up to be more expensive than the day tours, and you would need to book both the outbound and return ticket at Naxos to insure a seat back to Naxos at the end of the day. The scheduled ferries are larger than the excursion boats, so usually still sail when the day trips are cancelled.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

We ended up booking it when we arrived in Naxos through the representative that picked us up for our lodging. Very easy.