Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dawdling in DINGLE: Your favorite haunts?

Jul 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

I am so excited about visiting Dingle. We're leaving for Ireland in a coupla days. After a year of research and a pile of guidebooks, Dingle continues to taltalize me with its delights.

I'd love to hear about your favorite experiences, pubs and food you enjoyed, and memorable moments on the Dingle peninsula. Many thanks!

We fly into shannon, spend one night in Bunratty, then 3 nights in Dingle. (After that it's onto County Clare, Mayo, and Northern Ireland...)

DINING IN DINGLE:
We like to eat in a friendly place, family-run, with local atmosphere and good food at moderate prices. We are feeding hubby and 2 young adult daughters. Prefer baked or broiled food, and not too much fried food.

SCENIC DINGLE:
What was your favorite scenic drive or scenic view in Dingle Peninsula?

Great Blasket Island:
We are definitely going to see the Blasket Island visitor's center. But I am wondering if it's worth also taking the boat over to the island? Very enticing, but it means spending over half a day... Have you done it and was it wonderful and memorable? Or did you wish you'd skipped it? With 3 nights we only have 2 full days in Dingle area.

Thanks! Leaving in a coupla days.
Jul 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM

favorite memory from this trip was stopping at the music store in dingle on john st. and enjoying impromptu seesion with mike playing the button box and a friend of his playing the bodhran...should have went to Marina pub to see him play that night...went to see Eoin Duiggan play at the small bridge...which was very good.

last trip was singalong at murphy's pub

all of slea head loop wonderful...also on way out of dingle there is a castle ruin that we discovered...will have to check notes.

funghi boat ride was fun

eat at smokehouse and halfdoor
Jul 4th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Melissa5:
You can't miss with Dingle. My family and I stayed at the Greenmount House which is very memorable. We did a small tour with a guy arranged by the owners of the Greenmount. It was very good and took a half day. We went to a local store, purchased picnic food and drinks and hiked to the mouth of Dingle Bay and the lighthouse. What a day! Fungi and his buddies were playing in the bay, locals brought their horses to the bay for a bath, we ate lunch on the rocks at the mouth of the bay. We have great memories of Dingle and that day. Have a great trip, you're gonna love it!
Jul 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Chart House in Dingle....wonderful restaurant!!

Blasket Island visitor's center was just amazing. We didn't make it to the island.....water too rough!!

Photos of Dingle.....

www.pbase.com/baileyzim/irelanduk
Jul 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Here's a second recommendation for the Old Smokehouse. Great food at reasonable prices and good atmosphere. It is right opposite the Small Bridge pub. The whole Slea Peninsula is spectacular, especially if its's sunny. the hike out to the lighthouse and the bay head is also worthwhile. Would recommend Innisfore, one of the Aran islands, over Blasket Islands if you have the time out of Galway. A truly unique culture there.
Jul 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM

If you like seafood I highly recommend the restaurant Out of the Blue in Dingle.

I was there last year and would suggest making a reservation. The first night we went there they couldn't seat us, so we made a reservation for the next night. We were not disappointed.

Have a great time...Slainte!
Jul 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM

A third for Old Smoke House.
Jul 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
sss

I will add my vote for the Old Smokehouse too. Not cheap but very good.
Jul 4th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a million everybody! Trying to cram everything in my 21" carry-on...Dreaming of Dingle and Ireland. Bailey, thanks for sharing the photos!
Jul 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Melissa,
When you go to visitor center at the Blasket Islands, be sure an go clear to the back on the left side and stand in the middle of the little room. It amazed me. But then it doesn't take much to amuse or amaze me.

Jul 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM

We didn't really research specifically what to do while staying in Dingle (actually stayed in Ventry), but we definitely knew enough to drive Slea Head. This was well worth the time (much more so than the three hours it took to drive Ring of Kerry in our opinions.) We happened upon the most beautiful beach along the drive that was worth exploring for a while - the waves are huge and really crash here - at 6 in the evening anyway. I don't know the name of the beach, but it will probably be obvious. I think the fact that our children loved the beach so much helps it to remain one of our fondest memories. The sand has a blue hue to it because of all of the crushed blue sea shells in it. It's bordered by high cliffs on a couple of sides, a real oasis. We wish we had more time to linger there.. We really loved Dingle, and found it to be quiet, beautiful and rich in ancient ruins. We also enjoyed our visit to the Dunbeg forts along Slea Head Drive.

Missing Ireland....Enjoy!
Jul 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM

We ate at OUT of the BLUE 2 years ago during our honeymoon in Ireland. To this day we still have not had a seafood dinner as good as there. And we live in DC! Often eating in Annapolis MD seafood restaurants. Glad the place still gets recognized. You must make a reservation a day or two beforehand -the place only has six tables.

We loved exploring Slea Head and hanging out at Moriaty's Pub