Search

Spain/Italy trip Flight Advice with EasyJet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain/Italy trip Flight Advice with EasyJet

Hi,

Planning a family trip to Madrid and Rome in November, and doing preliminary investigation.

Like many other families, we're on a tight budget - and I'm investigating airfar possibilities.

The cheapest option seems to be a R/T to Madrid on Iberia Airways, and then purchasing an R/T ticket on EasyJet to go from Madrid to Rome and back.

The trans-atlantic flight to Madrid arrives early (8 AMish), allowing for 3 mostly full days in Madrid - probably closer to 2 1/2 days of sightseeing, with an early (7 AM) departure on EasyJet to Rome.

The Easyjet flight to Rome arrives around 9:30'ish (again, allowing 2/1/2 days for sightseeing). It returns early afternoon the day we fly out.

On the whole, the flights seem doable - but there is only a 2.5 hour window between scheduled arrival of EasyJet in Madrid on the way home, and return flight to US.

Do you think EasyJet is dependable enough that this itinerary is okay, or would you try and find a more conservative flight selection?

Or am I totally trying to cram too much in, and would be better served by a single destination with day trips (Rome and Ostia/Florence or Madrid and Segovia/Toledo) to add variety (yes - I know a whole other topic).

Thanks,
Reg.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:48 AM

I actually would be a tad wary of a 2.5 hour window with any 2 different airlines and making an international flight.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM

<<< It returns early afternoon the day we fly out >>>

DON'T DON'T DON'T.

It's up to you to make your flight home. If you don't you WILL have to pay for brand new tickets. No-one will help you and with a 2h30m window your insurance company will just laugh at you if you make a claim

Travel to Rome a day earlier and return to Madrid a day earlier so that if Things Do Go Wrong you have time to do it.

Even better why not book a ticket that allows you to fly into Madrid and out of Rome. Then you save the flight back to Madrid and the risk associated with it.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - that was probably the next cheapest option (open jaw flight on Iberia, with a 1-way between Madrid/Rome on easyjet).

Just tempted because the Easyjet R/T and Madrid R/T would probably be a $300-400 savings over Madrid/Rome Open Jaw with 1-way EasyJet.

The R/T return flight on Iberia had pretty much the exact same flight schedule as an 1-way Easyjet and R/T Iberia combo (depart from Rome at 10:30 AM, arrive at 12:55 PM in Madrid, Fly from Madrid at 3:20 PM). I guess that Iberia would be responsible for getting us back if a missed connection tho' ...

Probably the smartest thing to do would be to pick one country

Thanks,

Reg.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I'm the ONLY one here who thinks a 2.5 hour window is probably worth risking RATHER THAN hanging around the airport for hours ahead of time of cutting my time short somewhere the night before so i could stay close to "the" airport.

I wonder if you had a FIVE hour or a TEN hour window if people would be less nervous.

Have you looked at ALL the possibilities in terms of getting to Madrid by using www.skyscanner.net or whichbudget.com to check on budget flights?

I understand your concern I honestly do and I am the one who is usually super conservative about this kind of stuff BUT I am not sure there is any verifiable rationale about a certain number of hours necessarily being any better guarantee of non-mishaps.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Agreed--probably best to pick one country, You could spend a week in Rome or Madrid and not see everything, plus with day trips you will never be bored.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:19 AM

I would probably side with Dukey1 and risk it... BUT my two cents would be to not check ANY luggage on EasyJet AND to get to know the Madrid airport (knowing nothing of it personally) to have a game plan in mind of which terminal you need to head to and how to get there the quickest
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM

I am a carry-on person, but I typically travel in warm spring. So I don't think in November you'll be able to carry on with Easy Jet, who has really small bag allowances--unless you are a super light packer.
Now considering that, and having been through Madrid airport, I definitely think 2.5 hrs would be pushing it. If it was booked on the same ticket, however, I would take the chance.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I hadn't really considered the checked luggage issue. Does EJ have a problem with baggage handling (definitely won't be able to do it with carry-ons)?

Reg.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:37 AM

I think it would be more of a time issue--picking up checked bags and then checking in to the next flight, and all the attendant security.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I don't think that it is enough time. You will have to claim your baggage in Madrid and then check in with Iberia and re-check your baggage. EasyJet will not transfer your baggage to Iberia for your flight home.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Your return flight is a potential disaster - missing the flight and having to buy full-fare tickets home at huge $.

Also - you are not giving yourself time to really see either city.

Pick one and do 1 or 2 day trips.