COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Daughter's friend

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 46
Daughter's friend

A recent post has gotten me to thinking about an upcoming trip. We are going to France and are taking my daughter and her best friend. Both my dauther and her friend are 16 yoa. Is there any special paperwork I need to take a minor child overseas? Needless to say her parents are fine with her going with us.
sward030 is offline  
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 555
I took the 11-year old daughter of a friend with us one year and we had an attorney draft temporary guardianship documents that the girl's parents signed. We never needed to use the papers, but were concerned that if we did not have them we would have a harder time getting necessary medical treatment in the case of an emergency.
Eleni is offline  
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Hi sward, some countries do require special paperwork, due to problems that US citizens have had with the other parent "kidnapping" the child who is a US citizens. Believe Mexico and some South American countries require it.

Not sure about Europe. To be on the safe side I would check the the laws for France. And Eleni point is a very good one regarding potential medical care. Even traveling with minors here in the US it is good to have a documentation that you can use in case of a medical emergency. Also, will this young lady have medical insurance coverage while you have her in France?
LoveItaly is offline  
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,639
Hi Sward,

You will need, at the least, a notarized letter signed by both parents giving permission for the minor to go with you.

In that same letter, the parents can assign you temporary power of attorney for all medical responsibility with respect to their daughter.

You might want a lawyer's advice to draw up the letter.

ira is offline  
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,755
Ira has it right..althiugh ther may be no issues with immigration, you just cant take a chance of ruining a trip. In addition, you must be able to act for the child in at the time of a medical emergency if her parents cant be reached immediately. We have always had a lawyer look over the document (for many years we back and forthed and the kids went to visit family and we brought their friends with us ect). If the child's parents were divorced (even years ago) documentation is key!
travelbunny is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Feb 18th, 2013 10:02 AM
Dec 28th, 2006 06:58 PM
Feb 9th, 2006 03:14 PM
Oct 14th, 2005 03:54 AM
Nov 16th, 2003 05:55 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information