Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   Daughter's friend (

sward030 May 14th, 2005 08:50 PM

Daughter's friend
A recent post has gotten me to thinking about an upcoming trip. We are going to France and are taking my daughter and her best friend. Both my dauther and her friend are 16 yoa. Is there any special paperwork I need to take a minor child overseas? Needless to say her parents are fine with her going with us.

Eleni May 14th, 2005 09:01 PM

I took the 11-year old daughter of a friend with us one year and we had an attorney draft temporary guardianship documents that the girl's parents signed. We never needed to use the papers, but were concerned that if we did not have them we would have a harder time getting necessary medical treatment in the case of an emergency.

LoveItaly May 14th, 2005 09:29 PM

Hi sward, some countries do require special paperwork, due to problems that US citizens have had with the other parent "kidnapping" the child who is a US citizens. Believe Mexico and some South American countries require it.

Not sure about Europe. To be on the safe side I would check the the laws for France. And Eleni point is a very good one regarding potential medical care. Even traveling with minors here in the US it is good to have a documentation that you can use in case of a medical emergency. Also, will this young lady have medical insurance coverage while you have her in France?

ira May 15th, 2005 10:15 AM

Hi Sward,

You will need, at the least, a notarized letter signed by both parents giving permission for the minor to go with you.

In that same letter, the parents can assign you temporary power of attorney for all medical responsibility with respect to their daughter.

You might want a lawyer's advice to draw up the letter.


travelbunny May 15th, 2005 11:03 AM

Ira has it right..althiugh ther may be no issues with immigration, you just cant take a chance of ruining a trip. In addition, you must be able to act for the child in at the time of a medical emergency if her parents cant be reached immediately. We have always had a lawyer look over the document (for many years we back and forthed and the kids went to visit family and we brought their friends with us ect). If the child's parents were divorced (even years ago) documentation is key!

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:58 PM.