Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dates for 2008 Cannes film festival/Monaco Grand Prix amd price for an apartment

Dates for 2008 Cannes film festival/Monaco Grand Prix amd price for an apartment

Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

We were looking at a property in Cap d'Antibes for May 31-June 7, 2008 and contacted the property management agency (Alexandra Lloyd Properties) regarding price (only monthly prices for June and later were listed). I asked if a weekly price would be approximately 1/4 of a monthly charge for June, and the owner of the agency responded that it would be significantly more (500 € for the week more than 1/4 of the monthly price). I asked why such a difference, and she responded that it was because of the film festival and the road race. I looked up the dates for those events in 2008 and found out that they were almost 2 weeks prior to our dates on the Cote d'Azur.

I emailed this info back to her but am now wondering whether I'd want to take this property even if the agency lowers the price because of its error regarding the calendar. If the agency would initially try to "deceive" a future client, maybe there's something else that could go wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

KC
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:14 AM

Hi knoxvillecouple,

I wouldn't assume that the owners are trying to deceive you, just that they can and probably will rent the apartment for an entire month, covering the dates of the Film Fest & race.

I have rented apartments for a month at a time in Germany and for two months in Switzerland and have found that this is not unusual at all for high-tourist areas. I expected some sort of discount for long-term rentals but got none -- it's apparently common to rent for four weeks.

s
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM

Monaco Grand Prix 22-25 May 2008
Cannes Film Fetival 14-25 May 2008
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac - those were the dates that I found also.

Swandav - I'd be inclined to agree with your explanation except that the agency owner said in her email to me that the reason the price was inflated was because those dates were the same dates as the film festival and the road race. Both of those events are in May (see Kerouac's dates in above post), whereas we want the apartment in June. A "more" honest answer from Alexandra Lloyd Properties would have been something to the effect of what you suggested (e.g., "our weekly rates are 25 percent higher than our monthly rates") or "our special event rates are 25 percent higher than our normal rates."

In the end it makes no difference. We're not going to stay there. Too bad - a very pretty property, nice location.

KC
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM

The only possible justification (but the owner should have said it) is that vacationers who want to see those events tend to hang around for a week or more afterwards, unlike participants in those events, who are out of there like a bat out of hell on Sunday night or by Monday morning at the latest.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

My guess is the owner wants to rent it for a month and if you take that week he'll have less chance to do that. So he jacked up the price to cover possible lost revenue.

Similar things happen in Edinburgh in July/August. Some properties charge higher weekly rents from about the middle of July even though the festivals/tattoo aren't until August.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I agree with Kerouac's and janisj's observations. It just seems to me that it would have been better for the property management firm to just be honest about it and provide whatever rationale it has, rather than make something up.

On to another apartment I guess.

KC