Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Darmstadt to Berchtesgaden, stopover for 1 night north of Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we leave our friends house in Darmstadt, not sure how early of a start we can get. Also not sure if we want to drive straight through to Berchtesgaden. 5 1|2 to 6 hrs may be more than we want to drive.

We had thought we might want to stop to see Nymphemburg Palace in Munich. So I was wondering if there was a small town or village with some charm not too far north of Munich where we could stay one night.

Any suggestions great appreciated!
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 06:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you want to be able to get to the Nymphenburg without driving INTO Munich itself (the palace is easily reached using public transport (trams run within walking distance)????
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Not necessarily, especially if we stay overnight north/northwest of Munich.

We'll have a car, and as long as I have my GPS and my husband with a map, driving in won't bother us.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM

Landshut. A gem of an old town which is on hardly anyone's radar, no idea why it's so unnoticed. Here is a page about my visits: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/a997/
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

You might just stay in Munich near the Nymphenburg rather than trying to find a place outside the city. There is a very popular and charming looking hotel called the Laimer Hof very close to the Nymphenburg.

There is also a great restaurant just across the street of the palace, in front, on the north side of the canal. Can't remember the name of it but have been there a few times.

It probably goes without saying but do not miss the Amalienburg.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM

I agree with robertino. From Darmstadt, you enter Munich on the A-8 autobah. The road to the city center, takes you right past Nymphenburg. There is, I believe, also a Marriott nearby. Then, on your way to B'gdn, you leave Munich the way you came in, but take the A-99 Munich by-pass autobahn north around Munich to the A-8, where it comes out of central Munich heading to Salzburg.

The scenic (German Alpine Highway - Deutsche Alpenstrasse) route to Berchtesgaden leaves the A-8 at the Bernau exit, heading south to Bernau, Grassau, Marquatstein, Reit im Winkl. Nice place to have lunch. Then, south of Reit, pick up the B-305 Deutsche Alpenstrasse to Berchtesgaden. All good and very scenic road. Adds perhaps 1 hour to the more direct A-8 to Bad Reichenhall exit, and from there Bad Reichenhall - Berchtesgaden.

If you want to add another sight: First,from the Bernau exit, head north to Prien and the Chiemsee/Stock landing place for the boats to Herren Chiemsee to visit King Ludwig II's palace Herrenchiemsee on the island. Then return to Bernau and head south, as described abopve.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I got a quote from Laimer Hof, but it was a little high...........OCTOBERFEST! Bad timing. So we will save Nymphenburg for a future Munich trip.

I've sent out some emails to stay in Chiemsee overnight. Looks like a great stop, and we haven't seen Herrenchiemsee, only Linderhof and Neuschwanstein, so that will be fun. Any suggestions as to places to stay?

Love the scenic drive suggestion, thanks, I have copied and pasted into my file.

We are actually staying Ramsau, Google took me off 305 at a fork onto BGL14/Alte Reichenhaller Strasse, any difference in scenery?
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM

The B-305 takes you right by the Ramsau. As you descend from the very scenic stretch of the B-305, with the views of the Watzmann, etc. the road has a couple of wide hairpin cuves. At the bottom, the road that intersects the B-305, going to the right takes you to the Ramsau.It's marked.

Chiemsee: If you want to stay along the lake, the Hotel Luitpold is right at the boat landing. It is a very good and popular hotel, albeit might be a bit noisy, especcially when the old steam train from Prien arrives. The Yacht Hotel is a bit south of the boat landing,along the lake, just before the Prien hospital. It is more upscale (and more expensive)than the Luitpold. I like both. The Hotel Reinhart is also along the lake shore. It's in the same category as the Luitpold, but I have never stayed or eaten there.No particular reason.

If you want to stay in a typical Bavarian village, with great scenery, stay in Reit im Winkl, about 3kkm south of Prien and the Chiemsee. IMam familiar with the Hotel Unterwirt. Has a good reputation. Outside (about 3km)of Reit, just across the Austrian order is the Peterhof Resort. It is listed under Koessen/Tirol. It hasd everything - - golf, tennis, pool, etc. Ceck it ou on the Internet. Unterwoessen, about 25km from on the way from Prien to ReitHas the very nice, small Hotel Astrid. It's in the Bavarian style, has a good kitchen and belongs to a friend of mine (I am oriinally from Unterwoessen.) The mountains surrounding Unterwoessen are nice for hiking and sailplane flying, but the village itself is sort of dull. Prices are very reasonable.

Driving from Prien clockwise around the Chiemsee takes you to the Malerwinkel. Good food, beautiful views of the lake and mountains.Never stayed at the hotel, but it looks nice. Nearest village is about 8 km away.